View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Magazine dated 

Post Magazine dated
Why can't C&M date the magazine, when people buy it they have no idea if it is the latest copy or 2,3,4 months old. Not a big request but an important one.

Cheers
Terry

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Post Re: Magazine dated
I agree, no date on mag is so you may forget what month you have already got or so it can sit on a newsagents shelf and not become outdated so quick. Some articles are rehashed from earlier mags. Also WHY DON'T YOU PUT A CAPTION ON ALL PICTURES or is that so you can use them at a later date for some other story. Your mag is so far off topic that I have stopped buying it. I work in the RV industry and we all think you have headed in the wrong direction.

I bet this post gets deleated

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:49 am

I stopped subscribing a couple of years ago and that includes all of the 4WD as well as caravan mags. Nowadays, I might buy one off the shelf if I'm away and looking for something to read. But it takes me only about an hour to get through them. I'm convinced that most articles (with a few exceptions) are written by journos who haven't a clue about what they're writing and are equally concerned they don't criticise or say anything negative about any product or place they are reviewing.

And yes, I too agree that omitting the date is a real backward step.

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 am

I always look at the last page to see what's in the next mag and due date out, that's the only way I can keep track of the mags, also I notice some of the adds on special expired months ago.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi terrytravellingman,
I too have been saying this for years, and think it is a system to sell them at news agents.
People will not buy dated mags so they come up with an idea to not have dates.
It is not as simple as looking into the editing section as that is either buried or hard to find.

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:26 pm

:mrgreen: it does tell you the date when the next one comes out on the back page but hard to tell when they come in sealed bags i spose

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 am

Hi all,

Just a quick response: the magazine started using issue numbers instead of the month when it went to 15 issues a year instead of 12. Even two different dates for the same month can be confusing, so the decision was made to number them sequentially.

And far from "most articles being written by journos who don't have a clue about what they're writing", most articles are actually written by RVers who are out there travelling for a good many months each year, and some are on the road full time - writers such as Fred, Trina Morris (who travels with two dogs), Glenn Marshall, Janne Hardy, Joseph Van Woerkom (our tech writer) and myself, as well as others. Still more caravanners contribute one-off articles about festivals, club events, hobbies, and 'From the Road' pieces talking about their travels. One of our "desk-bound" staff members left yesterday, towing a caravan, to research a two-week trip. Apart from that, meetings are very much focused on what is relevant and important in the RV industry and to travellers.

You'll also find the results of product comparisons and fuel economy tests in upcoming issues, with the outcomes for different brands clearly stated and supported by facts.

There are other exciting things happening behind the scenes, and I'll tell you about them as soon as I get the green light...

Happy travels, everyone. Rob and I are leaving in a week for Wagga's Stone the Crows Festival, travelling via Tumut, and then doubling back to visit the Rosehill show before we head inland for Ilfracombe. We'll be on the road for three months, and would love to catch up with any of you along the way.

Cheers
Marg :-)

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 am
Profile WWW

I am starting to get a feeling of deja vu.

Experienced journos? Possibly some are but who checks the photos are with the correct articles and in the correct state. There have been quite a few goofs in the past 24 months.

I suppose another 3 months will tell if I will regret having resubscribed

Safe travels

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am

I MUCH prefer to see candid shots of people and their rigs rather than the oh so predictable group shot with everyone raising a glass. Happy hour can be done to death!! These shots are so predictable, all look the same , such as this months shot looking the same as all previous months or years.
The write up or "tests" should be a little more discript such as to include everything beneath the floor, how it tows etc. Some tests or reports miss relevant points and so I suggest a checklist. I realise that, to some extent, all vans are the same and it takes a bit of journalistic skill to not always have the same phrasing and so leaving the reader thinking 'haven't I read this before',as he/she turns to check the cover.

In all, I think the mag is well done considering that in essence all vans are the same. It is so easy to fall into the journalistic trap ' this is the kitchen, this is the bed' etc. Testing a van will always turn up a wart no matter how small and so it/ they must always be mentioned in detail and not glossed over.
Again I suggest a checklist for every report. The mag is good and the variety is also good, especially when so much, superficially, is the same. Yes I too want to see a date on each issue and this is why, I have on a few occasions now, bought an issue twice because as so much of the photography is staged the same, I don't recall if I have this issue at home, or not. I can't afford to waste this money so it is a case of " not happy John"
When I have read the mag several times, cover to cover, I try to always remember to leave them at the Dr's or Dentist's surgery as they always seem to have those trashy women's mags and are in desperate need of some quality reading material.
Thanks and keep doing the good work.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 am

I much prefer to see the sights the venue offers than happy hours or smiling people.

Saturn 5 wrote:
I MUCH prefer to see candid shots of people and their rigs rather than the oh so predictable group shot with everyone raising a glass. Happy hour can be done to death!! These shots are so predictable, all look the same , such as this months shot looking the same as all previous months or years.

As I write my travelogues to tell readers about what they can go and see, and often this includes places off the beaten track, they are not about people sitting under their annex. Why leave home if that is what travel is all about? For this reason my photos are about places not people, and I abandoned my ambition of writing travel articles for C&M because of this.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next