View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Subscription Renewal Spam phone calls from EMG everyday 

Post Subscription Renewal Spam phone calls from EMG everyday
Hi All, I had to put keyboard to screen regarding this annoying practice which has been happening to me and I suspect many others over the last 5 months. C&M use a marketing company called Express Media Group or EMG to manage the magazine subscriptions. Over the past 5 months I have had over 60 phone calls from 02 8719 3690 asking me to resubscribe and telling me I only have a few issues left when I have at least 12 months remaining. I have tried many times to tell not to keep ringing but they just hang up in my ear. If you google 02 8719 3690 you will see that this practice has been happening to many other magazines ie 4x4 and Two Wheels. I request that C&M editors and management address this issue as others like me may not be resubscribing because of this issue.
Cheers

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 am

Post Re: Subscription Renewal Spam phone calls from EMG everyday
http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints/Spam-complaints

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 am
Profile WWW

As far as I know, EMG isn't a marketing company, its the parent publishing group for numerous magazines.

http://www.emgroup.com.au/

If they are calls to your mobile, simply add number to your phone book, under the name "Spam" or "Telemarketing- Do Not Answer" then block them. The phone calls then will not bother you, although you may get a missed call message on your phone.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 pm

To all,
Have your phones registered with the ACMA's Do Not Call register. The if anyone calls trying to sell you stuff etc, report them via the ACMA website. You need to remember who, what, when, etc so that ACMA has the details to prosecute.
It works for me!
glanyard

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Glanyard , good tip,
I am a member of that , and I may pursue it. I have been getting these calls for some time and I still had 8 months to go.
I think I made the mistake of logging in my phone number with them and so they may have a legitimate avenue of contact.
I reckon it is not unsolicited if I am a member, and so an ongoing prospective re newer.

I usually do renew but just don't want to be coerced on a regular basis.

But if I write and specifically ask them not to call pending my actual putting aside of their subscription it may get a response.

I am giving serious thought to getting the phone disconnected and just use an internet phone. That will change the number any way, and throw a spanner in their works..... :D

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 pm

This without animosity, We are being asked to have our say.
Those that don't agree, that's ok, but I am getting sick of regular calls from the publisher when I have 8 months to go.

So .................Further to the above I wrote an email in protest

Feel free to copy and past into word, put in your own details and send as indicated. It is pretty poor to be getting this treatment from our own people that on other occasions ask for our input and ideas.

04-09-2013
Hello at Caravan and Motorhome,
My name is
Name,
Adress,
town , State
Dear sir,
I usually do renew but just don't want to be coerced on a regular basis.

I don’t know what my Subscription number is, but I am getting sick and tired of getting a phone call on a regular basis to renew my subscription to caravan and motor home. I have the necessary acumen to renew if I want to, and all you are doing is driving me away with constant calls that I am now beginning to view as harassment.

One more call and I will definitely NOT renew in protest, as it is getting annoying to receive these calls with a .....period.... still to go..
Regards
Name

Then email to the “Contact Us” area which is on the top of the page on the right hand side. This is the address if it don’t work.
http://www.candm.com.au/contact

Sorry but if you can't give a state, no answer from me folks.
sig pic is a 1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Anyone who uses their phone for business may not register on the Government Do Not Call Register.

Some years before the Do Not Call List, I did register with Australian Direct Marketing Association where you can select phone, email and snail mail options and covers members of that association. This certainly helped, but does nothing for all those annoying overseas call centre calls.

In the past I have had a few phone calls asking me if I wanted to renew subscriptions, so after a while I asked them not to call again as I was not interested, and the calls ceased. Simple solution; saves wasting time and cost for EMG, and time and annoyance of the interruption factor for me.

Hi Paul; I would cheerfully close my phone line to stop the call centre calls if it wasn't needed as my internet line, and for occasional other phone contact.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

The call centre chick or guy as the case may be will be a contractor who gets paid say $10 or $20 per hit (kill, getting a positive from you) on whatever it is today she or he needs to sell. They make big bucks, north of $150k per year if they are any good. They are not from the magazine so not much can be done to change the way it works re the phone calls.

The contractors are given a list of numbers and have VOIP systems so it costs very little to call thousands of people per day a try to flog anything. Today they try and sign up subscription renewals, tomorrow all they have to do is get you to agree to an appointment with a sales rep and they have made more than you do in an hour of hard yakka. They will have a computer and all they have to do is hit the down arrow and it will dial the next number on their list. Not a positive from you and they down arrow to hang up on you and dial the next one looking for a kill.

Overseas call centres are aware of you looking at the incoming number and not answering OS calls so a while back they got local numbers to use so you thought you were being called from your capital city (for example) and some actually do spoof the numbers so they are using a number belonging to someone else in your suburb.
A particular so called electricity/solar company here in Melbourne that rings me multiple times a month, has an actual number that belongs to a hotel.

You can be sure if the magazine company are trying to sell subscriptions that far in advance then they are going to use those forward contracts to leverage a re-financing of debt or the sale of the business to another party.

Cheers,
ALLAN

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient
When its finished WE retire.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 am

Had the same problem, found them on facebook https://www.facebook.com/EMGcustomerservice sent them a nice message and told them to stop ringing, have not had one call since May.
Pete

2013 Holden Colorado LX
2012 Jurgens Skygazer J2203

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I did send an email to EMG and this magazine requesting a response. EMG rang yesterday and said they had an automated dialing system that was playing up. She said she would remove my number from their system and I shouldn't receive any more calls. Time will tell. I have been on the do not call register for over a year.
Cheers

Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next