View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 American Motorhomes - doors on other side 

Post American Motorhomes - doors on other side
Hi Scanning all the 2nd hand motorhomes for sale, I'm impressed by the American ones for sale here in Australia, BUT??? Can anyone give us some feedback good and bad about the entry door on the oncoming traffic side? Is there a problem at Caravan Parks? Safety getting in and out etc etc.
Our preference is to buy 28 plus foot motorhome in 12 months, we are leaning towards the Longreach or Alpine Winnebago but seeing these imported US ones. We'd really like some input please.

Cheers

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Post Re: American Motorhomes - doors on other side
G'day Ashnwendy
IMO. You'd be mad to consider one with the door on the wrong side. Too many complications like stopping on the side of the road for lunch, menace in caravan parks with your door and awning opening onto other people's, etc. etc.
Also, give serious consideration to spending your valuable dollar on Aust. Made...There are some really great Ozzie 5th Wheeler manfrs. out there. Help keep Aussie employed!
Jock :razz:

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:05 am

By law in Australia, there must be unencumbered access on the passenger side (L/H). The passenger side front door does not comply because the seat is in the way of a clean exit/entry.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Dunaruna wrote:
By law in Australia, there must be unencumbered access on the passenger side (L/H). The passenger side front door does not comply because the seat is in the way of a clean exit/entry.

Hi Dunaruna
Sorry mate...dont understand your post. If you are saying that the 5th Wheeler imports with the door on the drivers side are illegal..then I beg to differ..They have been complianced for sale in Australia hence they are allowed to be registered....Can you explain what you mean about the seat being in the way...What seat?
I may add that another thing to watch out for with these imports is that many of them are built to the maximum legal width allowable on our roads..they are complianced and, in some cases registered THEN.. afterwards, a Dometic type awning is attached thus making them 'over-width' and strictly speaking, illegal.
Still reckon..BUY AUSTRALIAN.
Jock :confused:

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks guys for your input it's just the thing we needed, It's the Coachman motorhomes that I was asking mainly about not interested in a 5th wheeler.
But you make some great valid points.
Does the width thing apply to the motorhomes too?
Cheers

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am

Jock,

motorhome, caravan or 5th wheeler - the law applies to all. There can be a door on the drivers side BUT it must not be the only door. There must be access from the lefthand side or rear also. If there is no access on the lefthand side (Passenger side) or rear then it is NOT compliant.

In a motorhome, some manufacturers claim that the passenger cabin door complies as a lefthand access door but it isn't, the seat is in the way.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

We briefly looked into these but my understanding is that having a door on the drivers side does not meet Australian standards and you could have a lot of trouble getting one of these registered or reregistered. Have a look at this article http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com ... -5wlrs.htm

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Dunaruna wrote:
Jock,

motorhome, caravan or 5th wheeler - the law applies to all. There can be a door on the drivers side BUT it must not be the only door. There must be access from the lefthand side or rear also. If there is no access on the lefthand side (Passenger side) or rear then it is NOT compliant.

In a motorhome, some manufacturers claim that the passenger cabin door complies as a lefthand access door but it isn't, the seat is in the way.

Yeah Dunaruna and Ashnwendy
Sorry folks..I, automatically, thought you were referring to 5th. Wheelers..My fault.
I would imagine that the road width rules would also apply to motorhomes..Easy for you to check.
Over the weekend, I visited a couple of RV yards and found 2, registered, second-hand American imported 5th Wheelers with the entry door on the drivers side and no door on the pass. side. I also perused a recent copy of the caravan sale mag and saw a couple with no doors on the pass. side.
Not saying they are legal but looks like there are quite a few out there that must have slipped thru the system...Wonder who would accept the responsibility for a compo claim resulting from an incident involving lack of pass. side door.
Jock :confused:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 am

I agree, there are quite a few with righthand doors only.

Until the caravan import industry is treated the same as car imports, they will continue to slip through the registration process.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 am

Hi Ashnwendy,

Mate purchased a Monaco motorhome from the states.
Had problems with the appliances being 110 volts as opposed to our 240v.
The generator was gas powered and the gas was different to our normal fill gas.
Allison auto grenaded when he reversed into a tight spot - apparently it is a common weak spot.
A lot of them seem to have large petrol V8s that are converted to gas.
His had a Cummins diesel and with the auto was returning a thirsty 2 kilometres per litre.
His also got through without a door on the passenger side.
Looked like a boat on the outside but was magnificent on the inside.
The cost of transmission rebuild and the fuel consumption left him with no option but to give it the "Tijuana Brass" and sell it to some poor unsuspecting buyer.

Cheers CHONGA

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next