View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mk3 Caprice Stove problem. 

Post Mk3 Caprice Stove problem.
We have a Caprice Mk3 (model OH73955Z) Dual fuel stove.

The oven flame would often extinguish it's self after lighting, I sat on hands and knees in front of the oven watching the flame and noted it would lift off the burner from one end (dancing) run about half to three quarter of the way down the burner and as a result the flame would extinguish.
I spoke to Thetford Reps at the Melbourne Caravan & Camping show recently about this problem. They advised that there was not enough oxygen mixing with the gas at the point of entry into the burner housing immediately in front of the injector (No65).
To rectify this, they recomended shifting the burner slightly away from the Jet to increase the amount of oxygen drawn into into the burner before ignition (flame). This was accomplished by elongating the "burner retaining screw slot" and sliding the burner away from the jet. The amount of elongation that I done to the hole is aproximately equal to the screws own diameter, aprox 2 to 2.5mm. The thermo coupling and ignition both function ok after the mods, and the flame is now more steady with only minor "dancing" and a good blue flame. We have not yet had a chance to test the oven under "roast conditions" with all the trimmings, so I was wondering what your opinion of this modification is?

Muzza.

Caution
HAZARDOUS WAIST

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:45 pm

It can also be caused by low gas pressure. I quick way to check the pressure is to light four burners at once and see if the flames are ok.

Regards
Sid

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Have the same stove and have had the same problem with the oven going out after 5 minutes or so.

Which way did you move the burner - to the right ?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi Muzza,

Have the same stove and have had the same problem with the oven going out after 5 minutes or so.

Which way did you move the burner - to the right ?

freetraveller.....

If you look inside your oven to the back bottom you will see the burner, it is held in place with one small phillips head screw, remove this screw and lift the burner out (might require a bit of jiggling). You will notice that it is a kind of Z shape with the open, lower end being where the jet is located when assembled. The jet will be left behind still attached to the oven it won't come out with the burner.

You should then determine which way to elongate the burner retaining hole to give a bigger gap between jet and burner.

I must also stress that advice from a certified Gas fitter/person/manufacturer, should be obtained on this matter before you proceed.

The regulator delivery pressure was checked and found to be ok.

Muzza.

Caution
HAZARDOUS WAIST

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 am

I had a gas fitter take a look at the oven the other day, but of course it didn't play when he tried it.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]