View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc) 

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
Post Re: Blokey Stuff - Talk to Rob (4WD, Tech, Towing etc)
topspark wrote:
Hello Rob
Do you use a uhf?
If so what sort of radio and antennae do you use?
cheers

G'Day Topspark,

Yes we use a GME TX3340 and have a bonnet mounted aerial approx 85cm high. Sorry don't have product number for the aerial.
We find the set up serves the purpose well & would highly recommend anyone towing have a CB unit as part of their travelling equipment.
Cheers
Rob

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:15 am

caveboy88 wrote:
Rob & Marg wrote:
Want to chat about the tow vehicle, caravan tech stuff, towing, fuel economy, the DVD tech tips etc etc? This is the place to do it!

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob having watched all your travels and choice of van and tow vehicle i am especially interested in the cost of the upgrades as looking previously at the Isuzu diesel it had less power than both the Triton and Navara with the new Navara putting out 140kw and 450nm torque but more expensive to buy.
Thanks Phil

G'Day Phil,

Sorry I can't give you an accurate figure for the upgrades as some of them were via an arrangement with the magazine. I can however give you an approximate, based on info that I've seen & read about. Prices vary, so please do your own research.
Overall the modifications; Steinbauer PowerModule, Taipan Exhaust, Cooper Tyres, Suspension upgrades, Compressor, extra Battery pack, driving lights, long range fuel tank (all TJM), would be in the vacinity of $10,000 - $12,000.
As I said, this is my calculation only, and isn't a definitive cost breakdown.
Cheers
Rob

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:26 am

Hey guys, following your travels with interest.

We are vertually newbees to van touring having only done about 12000km since we bought our van 18 months ago. We have just upgraded our tow vehicle to a 200 series Landcruiser which has a few options I am not very familiar with. One of these is a CB radio. Could you give me the protocol for using this when vanning.

1/ How do I call a truck that I can see in my revision mirrors, (what do I say)?

2/ Or a truck in front ?

3/ Will I require a call sticker/name fitted to the rear of my van?

4/ Anything else I shoud be aware of ?

Sorry if this has been delt with before but I have no idea, any advice on CB use would be most appreciated :confused:

Skipper.... (A Kiama Boy)

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 pm

skipper wrote:
Hey guys, following your travels with interest.

We are vertually newbees to van touring having only done about 12000km since we bought our van 18 months ago. We have just upgraded our tow vehicle to a 200 series Landcruiser which has a few options I am not very familiar with. One of these is a CB radio. Could you give me the protocol for using this when vanning.

1/ How do I call a truck that I can see in my revision mirrors, (what do I say)?

2/ Or a truck in front ?

Sorry if this has been delt with before but I have no idea, any advice on CB use would be most appreciated :confused:

Skipper.... (A Kiama Boy)

G'Day Skipper,
I know ( sort of ) a Skip from Kiama - he was heavily involved with Kiama Downs SLSC as IRB captain & general guidance officer. I'm a Shellharbour SLSC member, so just wondering. Anyrate, re your questions I'll answer them as best as I know, others may have different ideas, so don't take what I say as gospel.

Try & identify the vehicle. eg coal truck, road train, timber truck, colour, etc, and call them on Ch #40 ( most trucks will be scanning that channel ). eg " Road train following Jayco Caravan out of Emerald - do you copy". They should respond, then advise you are aware of the presence & will get out of the way as soon as possible. Let the conversation flow as they will normally have a good idea of the road ahead to help when they want to overtake..

2/ Or a truck in front ?
Same thing, but tell them you are following them & will attempt to pass when clear , ask them to advise when clear.

Great idea to have a large sticker placed on the van for the channel you are monitoring. Most ( but not all vanners ) will monitor 40 & 18. Truckies may also may identify you by stickers or signage on the van.

All truckies I encountered,spoken with face to face & via CB, have welcomed being informed of what you are up to and then they will work with you. I guess there are a couple of cowboys around, just like there are inconsiderate 'van drivers. It's all a matter of sharing the road & trying your best to co-operate with all other users.

Cheers
Rob

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks for your response Rob.

Alas i am not the Skip you Know, but I have a idea of who you mean. Thank for the info on CBs. Looking forward to giving it a go.

One of my work mates was Wayne Cavanagh from Shellharbour SLSC, according to him he ran the joint. :lol: :lol:

Safe travels to you both.

Skipper....

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Rob, just curious - how have you found parking a van the size of yours in caravan parks. That is, getting into and out of caravan park sites with restricted space and maybe other vehicles in the way. Have you had to phone ahead and advise the park manager of the size of your van. I know I do, as ours is 21'6" (internal) which sometimes has us look for sites that suits our needs. Have you had any problems ? thanks, Bob.

cheers, beers and lets get outa heres.
Patrol 4.2D Roadstar Dreamtime 21'6"

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:19 pm

bobldoo wrote:
Hi Rob, just curious - how have you found parking a van the size of yours in caravan parks. That is, getting into and out of caravan park sites with restricted space and maybe other vehicles in the way. Have you had to phone ahead and advise the park manager of the size of your van. I know I do, as ours is 21'6" (internal) which sometimes has us look for sites that suits our needs. Have you had any problems ? thanks, Bob.

G'Day Bob,

There haven't been any major problems with the van so far. The overall length of the van is just on 30 ft and the actual van itself internal being about 23'. We always advise the van park when we book ahead the overall length of the van, and they then are in most cases able to allocate us a reasonable sized site. Sometimes, that means you are down in the back blocks of the park, well away from the general group of travellers.
There are few parks about that have small sites, generally some the older parks, that were built a good while back when vans were a lot smaller so sometimes you will come up against an spot that doesn't allow a lot of room to manoeuvre. In these cases you have to do the best you can, but you'll probably find someone will help you if it looks like you are going to get stuck. People will happily move their cars if they are in the way of your parking procedures - (just make sure you ask politely).
We had a situation a couple of weeks back in Esperance, where we got on and off the site well enough, but the exit from the park grounds involved a couple of very tight corners and we needed some help from a vanner to negoatiate around his set up.
But all in all, just let the park know the overall size of the van & you should be well looked after.

One other thing, just plan your access to a fuel bowser if you need to top up the tank. If you are driving a diesel, quite often the pump is out of the main fuel pump area, so you may end up backing up and around other cars if you take the wrong route to the pump. :oops:
Hope this helps
Rob

Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Cheers Rob for your prompt reply - well appreciated. Yes I agree, we have been in a few tight spots ourseves, even to the point where an expreienced truck driver had to give me a couple of well apreciated pointers on getting my van into a site that was not well suited to the van, but once we were in there, it was beers out the fridge !!. Thanks for the advise on the filling up the diesel. Generally I get the better half to go for walk and seach before I enter the petrol statuion to tell me where the diesel pump is. So far so good. Have a good trip, Cheers, Bob.

cheers, beers and lets get outa heres.
Patrol 4.2D Roadstar Dreamtime 21'6"

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 am

gday Rob,.....bought the latest mag and dvd the other day and i was watching you talk about caravan electric brakes,which is a important topic,but just as i was getting into the segment it finished,i was hoping you would show everyone how to adjust the brake controllers for the best operating level,apart from that its great seeing you and Marg do the show is like a breath of fresh air ,keep up the good work mate hope to see you out on the road some day.
have a merry christmas and a happy new year to both of you .
regards
Fred

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Rob and Marg
We have been following your journey and are envious. Can you advise if you have had any problems with the size of your caravan in either parks or free camping? We have heard that a lot of parks will not take the larger vans. We are contemplating buying a fifth wheel of about 30 feet. Will we have any problems parking or staying on our trip around Oz?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next