View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MY insurance,Now this is interesting 

Post MY insurance,Now this is interesting
Im with NRMA Insurance.

Everything i have is coverred by them
I have 4 individual policies:
Building
Contents
Car
Van.

Had a look at all policies and only 1 mentions FLOOD & Storm damage and thats my CAR...Theres NO small print just the above PLUS theft etc etc.

None of the others says Flood storm.ONLY building Replacement and same for contents & Van but no small print..

To ME ,after seeing these poor guys on TV id LIKE mine to say FLOODS,Storms on each policy with NO fine print.

Ill ring them and ASK for a new policy WITH the Flood Storms on the policy.

Im no longer into this she'll be right verbal stuff over the ph from ins companies,from now on its in writing or ill swap .

Ill keep you informed.

On TV During the Floods Suncorp CEO was on TV live telling ppl they ARE flood storm coverred IN WRITING with NO fine print. He said make sure your policy is up to date and we'll cover everything floods including rubbish removal ETC.

So im prepared to give NRMA a chance to make things RIGHT,if not its quote time from Suncorp

Cheers Rod

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Post Re: MY insurance,Now this is interesting
Insurance! Bah Humbug!

Received our contents insurance recently from the RACV ,and as usual its gone up again for no apparent reason, to me anyway, so I rang around and got a good price $100.00 cheaper for the same? cover but when I mentioned leaving the house vacant for 3-4 months " Oh no we only cover for the first 30 days then your on your own" no, cant pay a bit extra, they just dont cover you over 30 days.
Another covered for 120 days with extra payment but were about the same price as RACV.

So I've paid up as RACV will cover for the periods we might be away.

Best contact your insurer to check - just another way to opt out of paying up I suppose?

Jeff.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Jeff,
TY for the input,lots of ppl will be wiser because of it.

OK,rang NRMA.

My Car and VAN are coverred for everything Flood,storm with NO exclusions thats rivers rising in writing as well as the normal stuff fire theft damage etc.

My house/contents however ISNT coverred for river rising floods. Only storm damage to my HOME causing internal floods OR by burst pipes or overflowing laundry. Now,this IS for Qld members only he said. I never ask but possibly NSW members might be but please DONT read this and ASSUME you are.

Call them and ask the hard questions,i did and instead of being disconnected i got read the actual exclusions so atleast i know im getting other quotes tommorrow and ill be asking the tough ones again.

HTH some of the Forum

Cheers Rod

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Jeff.
I to am with RACV and rang them the other day about being away for a long period. I was told that as long as I let them know how long we will be away and approx when we will be back, the only change will be our excess, it will go to $1000.00 instead of the $250.00 it is now. No mention at all about 60 days and you are on your own. Bev

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi Rod.
Great reading your posts as always but I am stumped by "HTH some of the Forum"

I will also check out my insurance as well. Thanks for the information.

Regards Chris

Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 pm

shenton1 wrote:
I am stumped by "HTH some of the Forum"

HTH = Hope This Helps :razz:

Regarding the NRMA - they made a big song and dance last week sometime and stated that NO Queenslanders were covered for the floods and do not bother claiming.

If I had my way NRMA Insurance would be tarred and feathered and sent packing south over the border where they belong. :-x

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Tusitala
I havent cancelled any policy just yet but ill be shopping around tomorrow INCLUDING the car and van cause some give discounts if you move ALL.

But Definatley the House and Contents.Ill try a FEW But the Suncorp DID televise flood cover river upwards IS coverred in writing so theyre one of the brands ill hit.

ONLY trouble is the NRMA give me free NIL excess on every policy ,But flood cover far outrules free excess.

So im expecting a Flood excess of around $1000 and thats hard for most to find in a lump sum.

Earlier last week i mistakenly read FLOOD cover and THOUGHT it was house contents. I looked today ,just as well

Cheers Rod

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Bev,

The 60 days was for another company not RACV.

Previously I've been advised by the RACV that they dont have a problem up to 3 months so long as you tell them but after 3 months they will charge a bit extra.
You also have to convince them (not hard) that you have someone looking after your place - collecting mail, mowing lawns etc.

Before heading off again I will check with them to make sure this advice is still current.

As we all know insurance companies have a habit of making minor changes to their policies from time to time.

Jeff.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 pm

still shopping around,so far westpac are the best anything flood from rivers and or water rising ,storm invasion burst pipes laundry flooding ,no fine print $100 excess. Thats the same for conrents,same wording and extra $100 excess for contents.

I can find $100 without issues,Suncorp was $500 excess but they kept pushing towards $1000 Excess to make my payments cheaper LOL.

Still shopping..

Cheers Rod

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:02 pm

We had the unfortunate experience of an accident which resulted in our tug being written off and $28,000 damage to our new van. Our insurer APIA had the car finalsised within 3 weeks, cheque in our hand, and their assessor worked with our repairer of choice and we had the van approved within 6 weeks. We have all our insurance with APIA and yes they do cover storm and flood. So as they say if you are over 55 and no longer working full time give them a go. Their rates are very reasonable as well.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next