View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 FUEL SAVINGS TOWING A CARAVAN 

Post FUEL SAVINGS TOWING A CARAVAN
This may be of interest to anyone planning an extended trip. Available in Brisbane. This is an extract from the initial letter introducing the concept for vehicles towing caravans, something used extensively and successfully for years by the trucking industry.
Some photos are available to be emailed to anyone interested.
----------------------------------------------------------------

AERO KIT “WHALE TAIL”
FUEL SAVINGS TOWING CARAVANS[/b]

The highly efficient fuel saving air deflector product used by the transport/trucking industry is available for vehicles towing caravans. (Fuel savings have been recorded at 10.25% = $6200 on Nissan UD truck).

Developed by Retruck Australia as an extension of their range of aero kits for trucks, the “whale tail” is custom made to suit any vehicle.

To prove the fuel saving efficiency of the “whale tail” product, we are interested in any member planning an extended journey, to have the new “whale tail” aero kit supplied and fitted free of charge in return for a report on fuel savings.

Photographs illustrating the product concept are attached.

Any member may contact us at any time:

Contact Information

Phone: 07 3376 6088 / 0405985533
Fax: 07 3279 3691
Email: [email protected]

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Post Re: FUEL SAVINGS TOWING A CARAVAN
Is this like a nose cone..?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4508&p=76048&hilit=nose+cone#p76048

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:36 am

The shape of the aero kit is actually similar to a whale tail and is fitted on top of the tow vehicle in this case, at the rear to deflect air flow over the caravan. These are extremely common on trucks. The whale tail can be custom made to suit the tug. The idea is not new and is simply adapted to suit a smaller vehicle. Check the website of Retruck Australia to gain a better picture. I saw a prototype placed on a Prado .....it looked quite sleek. I have some basic photos available to email if anyone is interested.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Hope these photos give a better idea

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
G'day and welcome to the forum,
Does the tail come off easily when not towing, or does it become a permanent fixture?
Do you have one for the 99 Challenger
There used to be some air deflectors in the past but they proved almost useless in fuel savings, but the design was quite different. I'm in SA but I'd be willing to give your offer a go, as we're doing a 1/2 lap (SA, WA, NT) next year!!
Frank
PS you can contact me via PM (button just below pict of the rig)

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 pm

This will be ideal for anyone from the Brisbane area towing a caravan. The workshop is in Brisbane where a new "whale tail" aero kits are made and fitted to any vehicle. A visit is welcome to discuss manufacture, design and fitting, all free, in exchange for a log and report on fuel savings over a full trip.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:48 pm

I wouldn't be at all keen to have one fitted if it was a permanent fixture.

They would look rather strange on a sedan driving around a city!

Affixing this type of deflector to the roof racks I could live with - and then remove the racks when not towing.

Cheers.

Mike

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:18 pm

I would tend to agree with your sentiment Mike. However, the idea is to custom make the product, using the designs and experience in providing the same for the trucking industry.
In this respect, the whale tail would be made as a removable item for a sedan, designed and fitted accordingly. There is a lot of interest already to have one made and fitted and at this stage, it is a matter of making arrangements with a suitable "candidate". so to speak, who will be planning an extended trip.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:02 pm

greynotmad wrote:
There is a lot of interest already to have one made and fitted and at this stage, it is a matter of making arrangements with a suitable "candidate". so to speak, who will be planning an extended trip.

I wish I was planning an extended trip, but as a parent with young kids at school this is a future goal for me.

That said in the 6-8 weeks we use our van each year, we tend to do 8-10,000 km.

I'm also about as far away from QLD as possible in Perth WA.

Good luck with things, certainly the idea has merit and I look forward to the outcome of practical testing by some lucky folk you pick.

Cheers.

Mike

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks for the comments Mike. I guess Perth would be a bit of a drive ! There is a couple most interested in having a whale tail aero kit fitted to their Landcruiser. They have, or will be, collecting a new van, for a trip in the New Year. This will be a good opportunity for a design to be tested.

As a matter of interest, such an aero kit on a car has been tested in a wind tunnel by the UK Motor Industry Testing Authority (I think that is the name) with the air stream shown to flow up and over the van being towed.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]