View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Caravan Insurance 

Post Caravan Insurance
We are currently shopping around for van insurance. I have been using Ken Tame (CMCA) however as the renewal is just around the corner I am testing the waters so to speak for a better deal.
I currently do not have a van but a new Crusader Manhattan is to be delivered late October.

Can forumites tell me of their recent insurance experiences?

Looking forward to your replies. :confused:

Regards Chris

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Post Re: Caravan Insurance
I am with RACQ.....but after reading of another experience I will be looking to change. CIL seems to be pretty popular and MHIA and I will be looking at both.

The thing to be aware of is the 'agreed value'. It seems that whilst this is often written on the policy when it comes to pay out the second part which is 'or market value...which ever is less' is what is actually paid.

My RACQ policy has these words on it.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Just rang MIHA and they are way out with their prices. I was quoted $1164
They wont get my business.

Regards Chris

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:43 pm

I have used APIA to insure the van & contents & annexe ever since I bought the van in 2003 - except for 1 year when their pricing went mad - think I used NRMA that year. I usually ring around 4 or 5 companies every year to get quotes as prices to change year by year. Currently I'm paying less than $50 a month.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Boroma577 wrote:
I am with RACQ.....but after reading of another experience I will be looking to change. CIL seems to be pretty popular and MHIA and I will be looking at both.

The thing to be aware of is the 'agreed value'. It seems that whilst this is often written on the policy when it comes to pay out the second part which is 'or market value...which ever is less' is what is actually paid.

My RACQ policy has these words on it.

Im with NRMA i pay a little extra for agreed value and im sure that's what i get back if its written off not market value i also have the agreed value for $5000 more than what i paid and have the aftermarket awning and air con separately insured plus $1000 worth of internal cover just in case it gets broken into and something gets ripped off,im very happy.Cheers Neil

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Have all vehicle insurances with APIA
When "on the road" the caravan is $70/month and when "on site" at home, $49 for an agreed value of $57000 + annex + contents. Tug 4.2TD Cruiser @ $37000 is $38/month.
Like the idea of the tug and van being with the same company - if there was an incident on the road they cant try and pass off to the other insurer.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:20 am

woodpecker wrote:
Boroma577 wrote:
[size=150][color=#8000FF]I am with RACQ.....but after reading of another experience I will be looking to change. CIL seems to be pretty popular and MHIA and I will be looking at both.

.Cheers Neil

Hi Neil.
When I read that post your referring to I rang APIA and asked the question and was told that they do not have that clause in their policy.
If you have an agreed policy for the amount you and they agree on then that's what you get less, the excess stated on the policy.
Al.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:30 am

We were with AAmi as we had everything bundled with them. They do not cover you if you are living in the van however and the amount of time away from your garage address before you have to notify them seemed different every time I rang them. We changed to CIL, no hassles.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Profile WWW

hi all we are with qbe insurance just paid $478.00 for 12 months full cover agreed value - van worth $36000, good idea to get photos of your van inside and out to show insurance company how good the van was if total loss occurs
cheers bt50

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks for the input on caravan insurance.
I have had a few quotes for the van some way over the top, maybe they don't want your business.
Youi have come up with a good price for the Landcruiser but don't insure caravans.

Still looking.

Chris :rolleyes:

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next