View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 7GB for $25 Wireless Internet 

Post 7GB for $25 Wireless Internet
I don't remember if I passed this on previously...I have been suffering from CRAFT a bit lately.

It won't suit everyone as it is on the Optus 3G network but...

http://www.pennytel.com.au/

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Probably fine if you are in the Metro Area and not going to travel.
Have spoken to many people complain about lack of Optus coverage while travelling.
Cheers,

He who shouts loudest is not always right

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Post Are you using PennyTel?
Hello Crazyhorse,

Are you currently using PennyTel?

It looks like a cheap alternative to Telstra & Optus.

I am currently looking for an broadband provider, I am sick of the the current dial up system.

I am waiting for PennyTel to get back to me with some answers to my questions.

MikeL

IMGhttp://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/ ... 17.jpg/IMG

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

I currently use Dodo which uses the Optus transmission service and have not had any problems while travelling. I am on a 3GB plan at $34.95 pm. At the end of the two year contract I will stay with the Optus based providers as Telstra's prices comparable to extortion. There are better deals around now. Look past the big telco's spin.
I purchased a antenna for the transmission service and installed on my van but have seldom used it.

Regards Chris

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:46 pm

If Pennytel's quality and customer service on their broadband product is anything like their VoIP customer service, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Cheers.

Mike

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Im currently paying $24.95 for 2gb with
Dodo which uses the Optus network

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:50 pm

I recently went will Cell To Cell on a Telstra Turbo Next G Wireless 1 GB for $24.95 or 3GB $39.00 No problems to report so far .

Before you sign up for huge download packages check out your current usage figures and if on the road emails and a forum chat is all you need it for then 1 GB may suit.

The big download allowances are great if downloading music or movies but be aware that always carries an extremely high risk of downloading viruses as it involves using a share ware program that downloads from all over the planet and available virus protection may not be up to the mark to prevent them accessing your system.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 pm

I have been looking into this for the past couple of months as we are due to head off on our lap in about two months. After studying the coverage maps it was instantly clear that I had to go with Telstra if I didn't want to be without internet for much of our trip.

The others are cheaper, but you're paying money for nothing if you can't access the service. We have no plans, not even a general direction of travel so there was no way I could correlate free parks or CP's to coverage and see what to get, so I am going to go with the best coverage.

Also, just on the point of bit torrent (file sharing) and it's associated issues. There's no more danger downloading from bit torrent than there is downloading from anyone else you don't know. There are plenty of websites on the internet that will provide with countless malware, spyware and viruses if you let them.

As long as you're running a decent anti virus program with an anti spyware component then you won't have any problems. Just make sure you account for product updates in the downloads, a new virus definition dictionary can be quite large to download, and lets not forget about the windows updates either.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Off topic slightly, not sure that I would recommend to anyone to use "windows updates". Microsoft gets a peek inside you computer every time you do this. I turned them off a long time ago.
As for a virus programme there is a very good free one called Microsoft Security Essentials.

Regards Chris

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Hello Crazyhorse,

Are you currently using PennyTel?

It looks like a cheap alternative to Telstra & Optus.

I am currently looking for an broadband provider, I am sick of the the current dial up system.

Hi Mike,

no I use Dodo...but it's exactly the same as both use Optus 3G/2G networks from what i see.

If you get answers can you post them? My Dodo contract runs out soon and I am looking around. I use Pennytel, or used to while I had fixed line service and was very happy...now I still use it 'cause it costs almost nothing to send SMS from the computer (5c a pop)

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next