View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 7GB for $25 Wireless Internet 

Post Contact with PennyTel
Good morning "Crazyhorse",

I still have not heard back from them with any answers to my queries.

I will let you know when of if they do.

MikeL

Holden Commodore
ex YORK 17'9" s/axle van

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 am

if this run off the optus network i'd be very warey. spent 6 weeks in tasmania earlier this year our phones worked only in hobart bernie and launceston. all the locals were saying only telstra works here.

also had the same problem driving from biloela to toowoomba and last weekend stayed at the caves caravan park 15 minutes out of rockhampton and again no connection however a friend with telstra had no problem

a case of you get what you pay for

brian & kerry k
505 coromal & dual fuel falcon bf 2007

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:59 pm
Profile ICQ

if this run off the optus network i'd be very warey. spent 6 weeks in tasmania earlier this year our phones worked only in hobart bernie and launceston. all the locals were saying only telstra works here.

also had the same problem driving from biloela to toowoomba and last weekend stayed at the caves caravan park 15 minutes out of rockhampton and again no connection however a friend with telstra had no problem

brian & kerry k
Yes you are right Telstra Next G only way to go,otherwise you are paying for a service you cant use sometimes,couldn't use my mobile in many places last year and i wasn't happy .All the roadside stops had Next G phones for sale on their front counters as they new thats all that would work.When i arrived home i phoned my service provider and told them they had no coverage and wanted out of the remaining plan they said no unless i paid the monthly amount for each remaining month.As soon as it finishes im changing to Telstra Next G.Cheers Neil

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 pm

I just brought a Telstra pre-paid wireless broadband modem from Coles for $49 including 1 GB on start up. ( saving of $30 normally $79).

I was using Dodo wireless had no problems in my area Newcastle-Maitland until we travel to South NSW & North Victoria a few weeks ago.
We had trouble staying connected & in some areas no internet at all.

I know Telstra is going to be more expensive but knowing when I travel the coverage is far more better than other networks out there at the moment.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:41 pm

We have free Optus and is so bad we cannot be bothered using the Optus service. If you check Optus coverage 3G is so limited to be laughable.
On Bigpond 3Gb is $39.95 and heaps of free unmetered content. Another advantage of Bigpond with Elite Gateway wireless modem is Telstra T Box http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/tbox/index.html which powers from 12v. Use T Box at home and if no TV watch the shows or movies we recorded.
Pennytel for VOIP is terrible compared to Mynetfone https://www.mynetfone.com.au/. USB1200 VOIP phone for $14.95 with $10 credit is great. https://www.mynetfone.com.au/Residential/Home-Phone/VoIP-Online-Shop/Soft-phone Found with Mynetfone still works with low signal strength where Pennytel needed near full signal strength on NextG to work.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:34 am

brian & kerry k

You are 100% correct Brian & Kerry.
We are optus customers but that is soon to change as Optus told me that they do not have any coverage in Tassie. I had to ask when it would happen and as usual the standard dreply, " before Xmas" but no mention of which year.
We plan to spend 3 months in Tassie in Jan - April 2011, so Telstra here we come.

Jay& Dee

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:42 am

We went for Telstra Next G prepaid broadband and have a Turbo USB modem. Very few places where we couldn't get service. As we use it only for emails and a bit of browsing, it's not worthwhile going on a plan - especially as we will only use it for the duration of the trip (we have Telstra Cable broadband at home).

With regard to phone coverage. Again Telstra Next G is the only way to go (went on a $49 plan for this). I also have phones on 3 Mobile and TPG (Optus network) and the coverage for both is pathetic.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2