View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How easy is it to find work? 

I have travelled this country for many years and a "rule of the thumb" is if the small town is clean and tidy, eg:- painted fences, clean houses etc, there will be a very strong pride in the town that only seems to come from employment and good income.
There is usually a small sign on the shop window asking for "workers"
I recall stopping in Esperance a long time ago and before I had filled up with fuel I was offered 3 jobs in town, the bloke at the garage had noticed the toolbox in the back and asked if I knew diesels.
I had a job and a place to stay all within 1/2 hour !
Similar happened in Kalgoorlie and Darwin.

Got offered a job at Maree doing handyman stuff, and that was only at one place. If I had all my tradies tools, I'm more of a handyman - home renovator type, with me at the time( on the way to Birdsville Races and just had camping gear ) I could have had almost a years work in the area.

Heard of a chap that was "on Tour" and as he was coming into town would get on the CB and ask if anyone knew of work, more than once he had prospects before he had refueled.
Another one I heard of was a couple of pensioners that were on the nomads trail and tried for work in a mining town. Now as we know a mining town has fly in - fly out workers dont it.!
Trouble is that the shops cant compete with the mines for workers. They got a place at some shop , part of the agreement was a place to park their rig behind the shop and a small wage that didn't hurt their pension.

There is work out there if you want it, it may not be the work you are trained (?) for and you may have to look and ask a bit, but its there provided you willing to try something different

Ron

Fri May 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
At this park there was a hairdresser a couple of days ago with a sign on her van (she's got regular work on the way around, from 'vanners) and there's also a couple who have signs up about clothing repairs/sewing/hose containers (her) and sewing machine/bike repairs (him).
It seems to pay off to put a sign on the van telling others what services you have to offer.
Marg

Sat May 29, 2010 11:25 am

yep, i think it is easy to find work, yet not so easy to find work that you're fully satisfied.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm

We've noticed on this trip out western Qld and down the middle of NT that there are notices in most towns looking for workers.

The Outback Caravan Park in Tennant Creek, for instance, has a notice offering work around the park itself. We didn't enquire about wages etc, but free accommodation was part of the deal.

But one thing we did note. The show circuit. Just about every time we hit town we seemed to be at one with the local show.

In Charleville and Proserpine we saw notices wanting workers for the food vans and a couple of the rides. We were tempted to become Carny Folk, as the show is usually only on for 1 to 3 days in each town and was generally going in the same direction as us.

We figured working 3 days per week, some sort of wage, plus free accommodation in showgrounds might make it worth it.

But we never followed it up.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Have a look at Work About Aust: http://www.workaboutaustralia.com.au/

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Post tag colleen and dog
Macs wrote:
Hi All,
We are still in the planning stages of selling up and hopefully travelling on the road for many years to come.
We will have a reasonable savings account but it wont last us forever so fully intend to find work to replenish our savings.
We are in our 40's. Hubby has lots of manual labouring experience but I only have admin type experience.
We are both not fussy and intend to pick up pretty much whatever we can get but want to know just how much work is really out there.
Have seen all the harvest trail info but is there other work other than this or will we have to get into large cities to find work other than picking?
Your feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Jo and Mark

join work about australia

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Post Australian Government Job Search
Check out Australian Government Job Search,it is an excellent site and part of it is the National Food Trail that targets fruit and veg pickers.Cheers Neil

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:03 pm

2001 went to North Queensland in winter and lobbed into Bowen and as the bank account was going down decided to look for work. I was told to go around the farms and don't take any notice of the signs on the gates that say "No Labour Required". Front up to the property and if they like the look of you then you will probably get hired. The only time that it is not proper to ignore these signs is if the farm gates are locked. Worked for 5 years in Bowen (on the same farm) saving enough money to travel South for holidays during the off season. A great lifestyle recommend to anyone.

Regards Chris

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2