View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Taken the plunge 

Post Ebay
markmclauchlin wrote:
Trish, were did you get the no name brand ones from? The price of a DP is a little steep,

Cheers

JUST HAD A LOOK ON EBAY THERE IS ONE GOING FOR 28.99 FREE DELIVERY IN AUSTRALIA. HAS 11 HOURS LEFT TO BID AND ONLY 3 BIDDING ON IT. I AM TEMPTED BUT HUBBY WOULD SHOOT ME. A couple of others going as well. good prices. You shouldn't have to pay more the $60.

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Thats Krusty that has the "no name brand ones" but I have seen them on ebay and in the cheaper stores like Sam Warehouse and overflow. They are very good and if I had the room I probably would have one. Lots have them but you will need to run your genny, or be in a cp. not sure if they would run of an inverter. They are also available from Deals Direct on line or Topbuys. If you googled "Turbo cooker" I am sure the response would be good.

cheers.
T

sams warehouse / reject shop / etc. and they are very heavy on the power usage when running, like a fridge though they cycle on/off so would be bad for either gennie or inverter

partner likes the 1 pot method of cooking & tells me off when i use 4 or 5 for a meal (never a complaint about the food, only the mess) :eek:

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:29 pm

sams warehouse / reject shop / etc. and they are very heavy on the power usage when running, like a fridge though they cycle on/off so would be bad for either gennie or inverter

partner likes the 1 pot method of cooking & tells me off when i use 4 or 5 for a meal (never a complaint about the food, only the mess) :eek:

I have heard them running on genny's a 3kva & a 2 and boy do they cut in and out but they will handle it. A couple pulled up at Little Topar and she darted in when the genny was going just to make a cake in one.

Who does the dishes then. Anything like our camp it is me, me, me and me who does them. I use a lot of glad bake excellent to put on top of frying pans etc and my top plate on the pull out bbq on the side of the van. I also use it to do toad in the hole etc. great stuff. Less dishes for me to wash.

Trish
Toyota 100 Series

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome, and your great ideas on cooking. Thinking i will definately investigate getting a weber Q, and probably also a turbo cooker. Hubby was quite taken with the Dream Pots at the carvan & camping show, but not sure if they will be big enough for the 4 of us (which includes 2 hungry teens...). Ive got a few months to get myself organised, so will keep chatting to people and getting some tips. Thanks again everyone, im sure it will be a big learning curve but lots of fun too. Cheers.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome, and your great ideas on cooking. Thinking i will definately investigate getting a weber Q, and probably also a turbo cooker. Hubby was quite taken with the Dream Pots at the carvan & camping show, but not sure if they will be big enough for the 4 of us (which includes 2 hungry teens...). Ive got a few months to get myself organised, so will keep chatting to people and getting some tips. Thanks again everyone, im sure it will be a big learning curve but lots of fun too. Cheers.

There are different size pots for the Shuttle Chef.. 6lts and 2 x 3lts which would be quite large enough for the 4 of you. I have the 6ltr and the 2 X 3ltr posts these can also be used for saucepans. good for cooking silverside and curries, spag bol. fruit cakes. Have a look on ebay for the turbo cooker.

Cheers,
Trish.

Trish
Toyota 100 Series

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

when i was a cub (a few yrs ago/ few decades ago) there were instructions on how to make a "hay box" for cooking; muchlike the 'dream pot' suprisingly enough:D
personal thought only, for just an insualted cover with a billy, it seems a bit pricey

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

when i was a cub (a few yrs ago/ few decades ago) there were instructions on how to make a "hay box" for cooking; muchlike the 'dream pot' suprisingly enough:D
personal thought only, for just an insualted cover with a billy, it seems a bit pricey

Hey Krusty

We travelled for 2 years many moons ago using a "hay box" I bought off a couple selling them while travelling around by van down the bottom of WA. Was made of two bean bags different sizes (smaller beans inside) the larger one on the bottom put the pot in the bean bag with the second bean bag on top. I precooked just the same way as you do with the Dream Pot & Shuttle Chef. Bought it for $20. Kept it in a box to keep shape then put it on the bed while travelling. They same can be done today with bean bags but we all want something moden and pay the price. Did try and replace the bean bags but living on the yacht I never had the room. Would still work today.

Cheers,
Trish

Trish
Toyota 100 Series

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Congratulations on your commitment to become a wandering traveller!

The comradery and enjoyment you will get is likely to make you kick yourself for not getting into caravanning sooner :D

My folks have a Windsor Royale 658S and think it is the best van they have owned (6 and counting from memory).

Make sure your vehicle is adequate to tow your new van with relative comfort - you don't want to be right on your tow limit before you load your van, or have to limit the things you pack in your van based on weight.

My folks used to do this very thing with their Ford Territory Ghia that had a maximum towing capacity of 2300kg - they were right on the limit.

Ultimately they sold that car and now tow with a 2010 200 Series twin turbo Diesel Cruiser.

Enjoy your new found freedom and experiences.

Cheers.

Mike

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2