View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taken the plunge 

Post Taken the plunge
Well we have finally done what we have been talking about for the last year or so - bought a caravan! Have ordered a Windsor Royale, so we have certainly jumped in at the deep end. Planning a few trips later in the year with teens in tow (won't that be interesting...). Keen to learn lots, im sure it will be trial and error for quite some time. Especially interested to know how others are set up with cooking etc. Is it better to get a small portable bbq, or perhaps even one of those electric 'Easycook Turbo Ovens'? Im open to any and all suggestions. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Only 1 year to think about it? It took us 5 :) Bought our first van this weekend.

As for a BBQ, we purchased a webber Q, seems that a few others here have too.

Enjoy

Cheers

Blog: http://ourcaravanadventures.blogspot.com/

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile ICQ

Oh congrats on your new purchase too. Im glad there is someone else out there who is new to all this - i was starting to feel a bit inadequate because everyone else seems to be very knowledgeable and i have no idea lol. Will definately look into the weber Q, thanks.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:38 pm

WELCOME to the forum & conrgrats on your purchase.

Cheers Rod

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Hahah, thanks you are definately not alone.

The first trip out is going to be interesting....

Cheers
Mark

treenie wrote:
Oh congrats on your new purchase too. Im glad there is someone else out there who is new to all this - i was starting to feel a bit inadequate because everyone else seems to be very knowledgeable and i have no idea lol. Will definately look into the weber Q, thanks.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:37 pm
Profile ICQ

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Welcome to the 4um
We were all "green" at some time, so you're in good company.
As for the cooking, if you're handy with tools, check out what we use mostly for cooking,
http://forum.candm.com.au/showthread.php?t=304&highlight;=choofers
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Well we have finally done what we have been talking about for the last year or so - bought a caravan! Have ordered a Windsor Royale, so we have certainly jumped in at the deep end. Planning a few trips later in the year with teens in tow (won't that be interesting...). Keen to learn lots, im sure it will be trial and error for quite some time. Especially interested to know how others are set up with cooking etc. Is it better to get a small portable bbq, or perhaps even one of those electric 'Easycook Turbo Ovens'? Im open to any and all suggestions. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

i like the turbo easy cook so much i even took it to NZ on a trip (left it there too), got one at home too but mine are both 'no name' type brands @ $55. but i did see one with a 75mm metal extension for holding the lid up further for @ $90
it's the best way of doing pork crackling
(oh the van, that was bought last yr, still to go away in it as already have other holidays booked.. but one of the turbo ovens was from the camper)

if you haven't already, suggest you look in tech talk for ideas on powering fridges etc while moving

welcome

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Treenie and welcome. There is so much out there.... to take this is the problem..... I am currently going through the van after 6 months and off loading again we should have instead of garrage sales ....onsite van contents sales when in cp so we can off load to other travellers. For cooking which I am not off loading .......I have a wide range and fortunately I use it all in different circumstances. Webber Q. Choofer, BBq attached to the side of the van, open fire bbq plate, one of those $20 gas cases with bbq plate and shuttle chef plus my full oven inside. I was determened to have a full oven and I use that to keep my onions and potatoes in... keep well in the dark in there. The webber gets used as an oven and I have a range of camp ovens. If its raining the side bbq or the $20 hot plate gets used. Fire ban not full fire ban the choofer or open fire and the webber when ever.I also prepare a meal in the morning before travelling and use the shuttle chef. a lot to take but then again I love my cooking out doors and have a choice. Have fun making your selections on what to take.

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Trish, were did you get the no name brand ones from? The price of a DP is a little steep,

Cheers

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile ICQ

[quote="markmclauchlin"]Trish, were did you get the no name brand ones from? The price of a DP is a little steep,

Cheers[/QUOT

Thats Krusty that has the "no name brand ones" but I have seen them on ebay and in the cheaper stores like Sam Warehouse and overflow. They are very good and if I had the room I probably would have one. Lots have them but you will need to run your genny, or be in a cp. not sure if they would run of an inverter. They are also available from Deals Direct on line or Topbuys. If you googled "Turbo cooker" I am sure the response would be good.

cheers.
T

BubblesT :)
Trish
Spaceland 28' "Margaritaville" ;)
Toyota 100 Series

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next