View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ensuites 
Post Ensuites
We was we wondering how many people actaully use their shower in their ensuite
we have been asking every one we see that has an ensuite, and so far 90% said they dont use their shower, they just use their tiolet, and some people say they put plastic over their tiolet so they can use their shower
we are unsure of what we are going to do at this point but what i do know is that there is no more minight walks to the toilets!!!!!
so any info on this would be really good to help us make our desicion easier
we just want to look after it and make sure it stays clean

Sat May 23, 2009 7:36 pm

I use our shower, hate the walk over and back to communal showers. Yes I have a plastic cover over the loo as its an all in one shower/toilet, just take it off when finished showering.
I like the fact that its no different to home. Dont have to worry about wearing thongs etc in the shower and its private.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

We LOVE our shower and toilet and would never use a communal one if we don't have to.
We have a VERY large plastic bowl that we put in the bottom of the shower and stand in while showering. This allows us to recycle the shower water when free camping and cuts down on the amount we need to carry.
Our shower/toilet only takes up a relatively small space and we wouldn't be without it.
Mist

Sat May 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Although still new to the idea of having a toilet and shower in the van, we love it.

We do have a separate toilet and shower and I think that helps. No worry about getting the toilet all wet. No thongs in the shower, no toiletries bag, no getting everything organised - clothes, towel, toiletries, etc and then getting there and finding out all the things you forgot!

I didn't think my hubby would enjoy the small enclosure as he is 6'2 but he has used it more than the rest of us! We are putting a dispenser in for shampoo, conditioner and soap. That will relieve all the bottles etc floating around and having to be secured before travel.

Sue

Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 pm

We, too, have the all-in-one but I have a shower curtain which protects the toilet from getting wet.

I would never go back to a van without a shower and toilet. DH uses the park showers but is very happy to use the toilet. No more midnight walks is sheer luxury.
As for 90% of people saying they don't use their shower... nuts to them.

If I were to upgrade again, I would consider a full en suite but the all-in-one really is most satisfactory and saves on space too.

Having your own facilities also makes lunch stops very agreeable in that you are not having to stop where there are toilets, you can stop where you fancy.

Good luck with your decision making.

2009 Ford Territory AWD,
2003 Compass Tandem full height
via Kempsey, NSW

Sun May 24, 2009 10:12 am

That is an amazing stat. I find it almost incomprehensible that anybody.... let alone a vast majority, would not use their onboard shower. Why would anyone prefer to get out of bed, put on some clothes, pack a bag of toiletries and trek on a frosty morning to a crowded communal facility? Got me beat.

Ours is a combined shower/dunny with a wrap-around curtain that keeps the dunny area dry as a bone. We stack our towels in the dunny area behind the curtain. Brilliant !!! Step out of bed straight into the shower. We have been doing this for 5 years. We don't ever use the dunny - as someone has to empty it. Perhaps that may change if we ever find the need to arise during the 'wee hours'. Reassuring to know there is a dunny in case of a roadside emergency.

So that's us, 0% dunny but 100% shower... the opposite to the norm so it seems.

Regards

Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

We upgraded to an ensuite at Christmas time the year before last as we left here in rain and it stayed on top of us right through as far as Port Macquarie. I had had a week of getting soaked through every time I went to the toilet (I have a Crazy Clarks Bladder) and got back from the shower as wet as before I dried off and mud up to my ankles.
I refused to go any further til I got the ensuite.
Stuart still goes to the amenities block but I prefer to use the on board system especially at night. Through the day we try to find alternate arrangements and of course for the bigger jobs and I read that someone on this forum suggested a seal top plastic bag for the paper for the little jobs as this doesn't fill up the canister as much.
Does your new van have a full ensuite with seperate shower and toilet or a combined shower toilet. If you have the latter make sure the curtain comes all the way around as previously mentioned, get a dispenser for soap, shampoo etc that suctions on to the wall (Bunnings for about $30) and a few stick on hooks for towel etc and you are in heaven.
Cheers,
Lesley

Tug: Iveco Van (The Beast)
Caravan: Lotus Sprint LE 19.5'[/color][url]
Web: www.hawkeshideaway.blogspot.com

Sun May 24, 2009 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Post Full ensiute for us.
We upgraded our van to one with a full ensuite in 2007 and would never go back to a van without one.
We use the shower each night, the toilet for number ones and if really, really desperate, number twos.(then empty ASAP)
We get the maximum use out of our ensuite as we mostly freecamp.
When we do use a caravan park we use their facilities, as we are paying for them, saving on our gas for the hot water.
I have no trouble keeping the shower or the toilet clean or dry (the wife dose it).
Anyone wondering whether to buy a van with or without a shower/toilet or ensuite - if you can afford it - buy it - its worth it and the vans resale value will be better than a van without one.

Jeff.

Sun May 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Post use it
minus 5deg in caravan pk in Canberra.Walk to loo,not bloody likley. Shower and toot , love it.
Agro

Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Post yes we use both showers and toilet
Well the time we use our own shower and toilets are when we are plugged in in a caravan park on apower site.

As wehave not been free camping yet , we expect that we make even bigger use of our own shower and toilet

we try to use the toilet only over night and only for the liquid variety .
But as it happened on our last trip my darling wife ended up with a nasty migrane and was sick to the extent that we had to drive 50km to a doctor in the end.

That one experience has paid for the availability of shower and toilet on board , as it was raining heavy as well.

It proofed to be a good shakedown trip!!!!!
successful in every way!

And we are both happy and would NEVER be withouth shower and toilet on board.

Normal use we have , we empty the tank every 2 days, well before it overflows.

Ps some of the caravan toilets are not that clean that I would use them!!!!!!
By the way our van has the totally independant shower, just a tiny bit smaller than a normal shower in a house.

80S Land Cruiser 40th (petrol)[1998]
20ft Jayco Sterling C/V (20.64-2)[2006]

Sun May 24, 2009 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next