View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hi all 

Post Hi all
'Grae' (wife) and I are new to the Forum and caravaning in general, however we have been 4WDing and enjoying, the tenting world for many years. Briefly, we've crossed the Simpson about 5 times, done the East & West Macdonald Range's, been shaken to death along the Fink, viewed the majesty of the Flinders Range and mostly everything in between from the east coast and up to Darwin.....But now, it's time to do it with a little comfort, we pick up our first van in 2 weeks, a Newlands 21 1/2 footer built by Concept...shower, toilet, A/C...and most of the good stuff. Our tow vehicle is a Nissan Patrol 3ltr!! And yes, I've heard all the usual stories about the engine going through the bonnet...however, mine has done in excess 170k all off road and not missed a beat. We keep up the services, check the oil water every day it's on the road and touch wood constantly :rolleyes: (please no returns on when you consider it will blow...if it does we'll buy something else). All I can say is, we've had it since new 2003 and it's the best 4WD I've ever owned and I've had a few.
Anyway, we're looking forward to this lifestyle now as the back and other body parts are telling us to take it easy. Hope there is many more meetings and greetings on the forum and the road.
Tango and Grae....'still out there'.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Tango & Grae. Sounds like you've been a lot of places we're planning on.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

Post Hi Tess and Craig
We have been to a lot of places but there are always others to see. We spent a few weeks in Tassie in Oct 2006 and plan to get back there in the not too distant future. Still have lots of pictures and they cycle through our screensaver. We loved everthing although the east coast was a bit dry at the time. We got snow at Cradle Mountain it also snowed on the mountain overlooking Hobart. We'll be back. Makes me want to plan a trip just writing about it.
Grae

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. We are heading to the mainland in a bit over 2 weeks for a long tour, no set timeframe but will probably miss Tassie.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:28 am
Profile WWW

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Welcome to the forum.
Will you have the van set up for freecamping?
Sounds like you're used to going it rough so freecamping with a van is still luxury.

Tess, bet you're all getting exited, is Bethany gettingany sleep?
Are you? :D :D
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:33 pm

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the warm welcome and sorry about our delayed reply, weve been a little busy with other things (planning our first van trip).

Yes, free camping is what we'd like to carry on with, at least for 3 or 4 days at a time, then back in, dust down & wash off for a couple...same as what we used to do with the tent, but now with a little more comfort....arrrr the back say's 'thanks':)

We've started to set up the van for self sufficiency where & when we can, but this is only early days caravaning for us and we'll spread the 'buy ups' over time. Separating the must have from the nice to have will always be the dilemma....and the depth of ones pockets.
The van is being built with what they call the Safari Range, I suppose just a selling gimmick for paying a little extra. Dual deep cycle batts, 2 x water tanks, 6" heavy duty chassis, checkerplate, 150ltr 3 way fridge, etc, etc..you know what I mean all the essentials you need for 'ruff'n it :))

Anyway enough from us for now, hope to see you out n about some time.

Tango & Grae...Still out there:)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]