View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 diy van 

2300 doesn't give you much hight; were you thinking of an air con too?

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, sadly no pics yet. My first problem is to do with the hight of the roller door, we have maxium of 2300, the hight i had in mind was just above that, so i am unsure which way to turn. Is there anyone out there that can give me chassis highets, I.E (floor level) off road verus on road. I would love an off road one but if i cant then i cant, but can i build an on road one just as strong with out the hight. I even had this planned out on the floor in the lounge (much to the delight of my wife when she came home) tell me, is it just me, as i didn't see any problem's with stacking all the furniture in one corner so i could see the (sort of) real size of the van's layout. It looked good then it dawn on me as i gazed out the window at the roller door and thought oh no will it fit and we are just a bit shy.

Can i build an off road chassis with the larger wheels but use much smaller ones just to clear the roller door, i know it will be painful changing them over but it is a price i am willing to pay. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers Robert.
Sorry, I didn't see your question in this thread otherwise I would have measured earlier. As I said in the PM, my jayco freedom is 2030 high after the axle flip mod. If you were to put some 33" tyres on 15" rims, you could gain 3"-4" by letting them nearly all the way down to put it away.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for all your help, this hight issue is proving to be more of a headach than i thought, i am off to the caravan camping show here in vic to have a look at what the experts do, hopfully i will get some ideas from that given i want(ed) to put fold up beds at either end i need to consider the overall hight of the van from floor to roof, now given the beds are around 1400 wide it doesnt give me much if anything to work with as i need to keep the bed ends off the floor this is going to be fun. Krusty, yes i do want to fit air con but it will more than likely be either a split system, with compress outside mounted on draw bar or a square internal one.

Cheers Robert.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:35 pm

split system good idea BUT a catch
if the sparkie does it first then the plumber will be aware & fix the gas problem
but if the plumber does the gas first; the sparkie might not know that he's breaking the gas regs

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Post Home made van
Robert,

Are you intending to store the van in the shed?

I have the same problem with the roller door even though I purpose built my shed AKA “the caravan factory” AKA “the hanger” to build my off road van. Even with 3 metre high walls the roller door head room is just too low.

I do not want to store my van in the shed, only build it there. When I am ready I intend either to remove the roller door or lower the chassis down by taking the wheels off and sit it on some roller jacks and pull the van out into the real world. It will depend on the overall finished height.

Those split systems are definitely worth a look but where to mount it. You do not want the thing choking in dust and mud and not to mention the gas bottle legalities.

When I planned our van, I got an A1 size printout of the internal wall dimensions to 1:10 scale and then cut out bits of different coloured cardboard of the fridge, beds stove, cupboards, toilet etc also to the same scale. Then put it all on the dining room table and said to my wife “here is your caravan size limitations and everything you want in it to exact scale so put everything where you would like it to go”.

She had a lot of fun playing dolls houses with it but the end design was typical. She put the spa up on the roof where my heli-pad should have been. No wonder I will not be able to fit it under the roller door.

Good luck with the build. I have been planning mine for over a year and now finally I have somewhere to build it.

Cheers
BUSTER

Paulownia Cabinetry, All 12 volt & Self Sufficient.
When its finished WE retire.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Buster, The van will be stored in the garage, Yes i have been over this a thousand times in my head it's now starting to keep me awake at night as well, what it looks lkie i am going to do is use some spare rims with fllat tyres this will give a few more mm's from memory abour 200 and been flat wont damage the concrete i have even taken off the lugs on the roller door so i can push it up past the roof line thus crearing more room (be careful if you consider this cause if said roller door rolls over it will untention and stuff itself) I think we have settled on the lay out and have (apart from the pool the kids want) done as you have with cuts outs i even layed out full size models on the floor in lounge to see how it looked and so far it looks good.

Cant wait to startthis thing, Cheers Robert.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Post Travel with kids
Hi.. Go for it... I travel with a dog and two cats who everyone thought would be too hard but has been easy. All kids I have met on the road have been articulate and delightful and interesting to talk to. Much more worldly than most. Don't forget to try the old EBAY for some things. I have picked up quite a few top quality items at bargain prices from this source. Second hand but as new and not disappointed in anything yet and especially the price. I have changed my motor home to suit me as it has become my home and have now been traveling for 6 months and have had to change a few things en route but it all works for me. Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Cheers:rolleyes:

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks for that, i need all the help i can get at the moment, we went to the caravan and camping show today, my brain has gone into melt down with all the stuff i can do, i was confused before, but now i just can't make up my mine.

I think we have settled on the lay out of the van, my next hurdle now is creating the pop top part as we need to fit it under the roller door of the garage so we can store it, if i can get my head around that then it is all systems go.

We just have to sell our beloved Goldstream Storm van before we can start as i will need the room to build it, so if anyone out there is looking for a van in show room nic let me know, we have only used it 7 times it is 2 1/2 years old and just perfect.

Cheers Robert.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2