View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Redarc Electric Brake controller 

Post Redarc Electric Brake controller
Has anyone used one of these controllers.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Yes mate, I have a redarc fitted and have towed two diferent vans with it.
Never had a problem and is very easy to adjust for braking pressure.
Just note that both of my vans were fairly light in weight, so cant comment on performance of heavy vans, but maybe weight of van doesnt come into it anyway.

Cheers Jabba

Things are so bad that Kevin07 is thinking of turning off the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 am

I have been using one now for over 5 years and find it head and shoulders above whatever else in in the marketplace.I have used two Tekonsha models previously and alongside the Redarc they are dogs.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Post auto reset cb
Gibbo wrote:
I have been using one now for over 5 years and find it head and shoulders above whatever else in in the marketplace.I have used two Tekonsha models previously and alongside the Redarc they are dogs.

Gibbo,
I Now have the Prodigy which I find really good.
I had the prodigy fitted by an Auto Electrician and on my first trip I lost my brakes in the Adelaide Hills. The fuse blew. It is supposed to have an auto reset circuit breaker NOT a fuse. I took it back to him and he fitted one as it stated on the cct diagram. No apology, lucky I have a manual diesel and used engine braking.

Cheers,
Bill

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Post Redarc
Thanks for the info
bruce

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Gibbo,
I used the tekonsha on my old van, it wasn't much good, it was hard to adjust. I was either locking up or not braking enough. Then the manual override stopped working.
Now have the Prodigy which I find really good.
I had the prodigy fitted by an Auto Electrician and on my first trip I lost my brakes in the Adelaide Hills. The fuse blew. It is supposed to have an auto reset circuit breaker NOT a fuse. I took it back to him and he fitted one as it stated on the cct diagram. No apology, lucky I have a manual diesel and used engine braking.

Cheers,
Bill

Which Tekonsha did you have which was no good as the Prodigy is also made by them

The early Voyager gave trouble

Quite often it is incorrect settings which cause he problems rather than the unit itself.

Coming down the adelaide hills I preferred to use lower gears than burn out the brakes.

My Prodigy has given no trouble in 50,000k in two vehicles, installed it myself both times

Cheers

754 Princeton & Cruiser 100ser TD

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:03 am

Humble apologies to tekonsha, I have edited my mistake. Can't remember the name of the one that gave me trouble.
My reason for posting was to inform members about the auto reset circuit breaker. Totally agree about using the engine for braking as much as possible, but it certainly is handy to have your caravan brakes operational. I have a manual diesel 1HZ with 23.5:1 compression ratio and it is fantastic for just that.

Cheers,
Bill

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I have used the redarc for a few years now,nothing fancy but works great with no hassles.
The van i tow is roughly 2 tonne on road and every thing pulls up nicely.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Redarc are one of only a handfull of companies that I would never think twice before I shopped with.

Their over the phone technical help is also second to none, and they're in Adelaide (and employ some people I know)

Sean

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]