View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Gearing up 

Post Gearing up
Hi new to vaning just sold boat no a little about solar panels' generators and deep cycle batteries however need to learn about vaning currently own a prado 4x4 auto 4lt 2007 in process of purchasing opalite 610 van with a few alterations we live on the shores of lake macquarie ( gods country ) we think; however haven't done a lot of travelling yet looking forward to getting our van june / july starting to get a few things already and planning our first short trip approx 2 hours from home to test overall feel and setup. We are enjoying reading other peoples veiws and opinions

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great combination, we'd love to see some photos when you get her.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

tankyou for your reply I will post photos when i pick up the van i'am interested if anyone knows about gas conversion is this the right way to go economy etc we intend to keep this car for a long time. opalite vans does anyone have any comments we have been to the factory 3 times and searched the web no up to date information found so far.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Post Gas convertion
Hi from WA
I'm Discoman in WA and have a V8 discovery that is used a lot for towing(son's rally car on trailer) more often than not. Camper towing as well. Havent got a van yet and expect it to be a while yet. Don't retire for 6 years but plan on a van to be well set up long before that. Collecting stuff already.
Anyway I digress, as Agy (the lovely wife) keeps reminding me.
Auto gas has never let me down in 7 years. The important thing is to run on petrol at least every 4 th fill. Stay on top of propper servise's and it will be good to you. Tip, don't get gas installed by a back yarder, no warranty.
Also remember that the tanks must be checked every 10 years just like any other gas bottles.
Happy vanning
Glenn & Agy (Discoman)

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Thankyou Discoman for your reply I agree with you as to useing a certified gas installer and for your other suggestions. I like you are counting down the days so to speek as I have a number of freinds already living the life.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 am

Post Gas Conversion
Hi Gearing up

I'm from Maryland and have a Commodore with which I tow a pop top van.

I've had the Commodore converted and was done by the gas conversion guy at Barnsley. Dont know if I can mention names on an open forum.

Have had no problems at all with it but I had to return it once for a small tweak when the car stalled on me a couple of times. He fixed it up and have had no worries since. Mr Rudd gave me a rebate and my out of pocket component was $800. I reckon I've saved that much and more since I've had it done.

Have not long ago returned after travelling down through Wagga, Hay Mildura to Adelaide and back up home via Victoria and the NSW South coast. The commodore towed the van easily but it slows down on hills. I flick it back to petrol when I see a steep hill approaching.

Dont know much about the Opalites but I've recently changed over my 15 foot Millard pop top, which is the one I took to Adelaide, to a 17 foot Imperial pop top. More than happy with this one but have only had a couple of trips to Shoal Bay as shake down trips. Having a couple of weeks holiday around March and intend giving it a good run then.

Cheers
Ross

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:11 am

Post Gas and tow bar
Okay we have know had a hayman reece H/D towbar, Anderson plug adjustable hitch and electric brakes fitted. Overall the job was a bit dodgy the fitter tried to pull out our floor mat and damaged the area were the mat is held in place, he also had aproblem cutting the rear bumper bar and couldn't find centre so the new hole and bar don't look right and to top it all off he has melted a hole in the drivers seat approx 10mm round.I confronted(in avery freindly manner the only way) the proprietor who was of no help. At this stage I need to find out what caused the melted seat xmas has stalled my investigation. On a brighter note we also had a gas conversion done at gaspower what great people and a terrific team to deal with some people do take pride in theit work.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Thinking about the hole in your seat - How big is the end of a soldering iron?

Get about 'em, have you paid for the job yet?

good luck

Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Post LPG Savings
Hi Gearing Up,
Bit late coming in on your subject - Xmas etc. you know.
I have got a 4.2l Patrol - duel fuel. I have done around 300,000km since I brought it, mostly on gas and never a problem. In 2008 did a trip with the Van through Western Queensland to Mt Isa then across to Darwin, Litchfield, Kakadu etc. then down the centre to the Alice, West MacDonnell ranges, the Rock and back to Melbourne. About 11,500km and used 90% gas/10% petrol. Noted the comparative petrol price each time I got gas and found that the gas saved me $1505.00. Wish I still had the money that gas had saved me over the 300,000km. Interesting, I only had to purchase petrol for 10% of the trip. Makes you wonder about the people who are against gas because it is too hard to get in the bush. To be fair there is the other type of trip from the Stuart Highway to Oodnadatta to Birdsville to Charleville and that's 2,000km with no gas, but most people don't do that trip each year for their run up north.
LPG is about saving money on the biggest expense in caravanning. Bush Camps save money too after you recover your costs for power, water, showering etc. but Bush Camps provide you with a new dimension to caravanning which you can't get in Parks. Doing both gives you the best of both worlds.
Look forward to reading your reports about your adventures, particularly as your confidence and experience grows. Good luck - enjoy it.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 am

Post L.p.g.
Okay after much discussion and reading your replies and other input we have bitten the bullet and reached deep into our pockets and had our rear tank removed and a gas tank installed by Gaspower Cardiff what great people to deal with. Are we happy you bet we are what a great idea, we can save money on future trips planned, we feel that with the rebate of $1750.00 of a total spend of $4000.00 spent we should break even in around 12 months or 25 thousand klm,s. All we need now is our van still on it,s way. Thankyou for your relies and any other ideas you feel might help.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]