View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 early 80 Jayco Dove the slow rebuild begins 

Hi guys sorry i havnt put any more pics up yet found out yesterday they are shutting the paper mills down here by the end of march so will have no job so will be doing most of the work when i finish as ill take a couple of months off to spend with the family and get the van completely finished. wil update again shortly

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Starkey, sorry to hear about your job situation.I wish you all the best for your future prospects and hope you go well with the renovation of your camper.
We all look forward to future updates from you.

Chers Jabba

Things are so bad that Kevin07 is thinking of turning off the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:09 am

Gday Starkey I had one the same and a cheap easy lift on these is what I done. I reversed (underslung) the axle and put 14' wheels on it it was fairly easy to do. It gave it a considerable lift a few inches, basically it had offroad clearance I cant find any pics of it but it sat level behind the lifted Prado I had but if you have an annexe it will not reach the ground after doing this.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:38 pm

starky ....they always seem to put people off before xmas ,,,, hope u find work soon ..... weve just spent evening putting new canvas on mates 80s jayco ,,,,, fitted nice ,,,,, made it look a million dollars ,, hes wraped as its his pride and joy ,,, hes looking f/ward to xmas break and using it ... will post pics when i take camera down..... cheers moe

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys .Was wondering did you buy the canvas complete and fit it yourselves or get someone to make it.Its about three thousand to get canvas done down here so if i can get it already made and fit it myself i will.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Mine had a Jayco replacement canvas put on mine just before I bought it(was a insurance job) I am unsure as to how much it was but it was a straight changeover to do and it had the tinted windows. I know probably expensive but at least worth a call cause at least you know it will fit correctly.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:18 pm

starkey were in derwent valley ...... not far from mt field np ...... were lucky with mates van as we had old canvas as a patern ,,,,,local canvas guy did good job ......under 2000 for complete job ,,,

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi guys after months in the new job and not being able to touch the van im starting again.Im getting the new axle made this week for the new ten inch elctric brakes so cant wait to get it back on its wheels and see how high it sits.Iv got the new rims and tyres put the new off road hitch on got half the chassis re painted.Have all the timber to finish inside and make the new bed ends and have the new canvas sitting waiting .Will get some pictures once it is back on its wheels and i get it into the sunlight.Stll going to be slow but finally think its starting to get somewhere.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Post Re: early 80 Jayco Dove the slow rebuild begins
Well hello to all its been a while and finally got the new axle electric brakes and new wheels and tyres fitted on the van and it is alot higher and fits perfectly level behind my lifted discovery.Will pull it out later this week and take the pics. got one panel to go round the inside wall then looking to move the kitchen and seats round.Stopping to mesure the slides on another dove for the beds so im not dragging them out and then working out how to do the slide out kitchen.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Post Re: early 80 Jayco Dove the slow rebuild begins
Hey Starkey,
Glad to see you're still going with the rebuild - you know what they say......slow & steady and all that!
We had a Jayco Dove too and like Richochet's had the yellow & lime green trim - this was mid 90's and i guess it was 10 or so years old when we had it.
Brings back good memories - our girls were 2 & 7 then and expected to sleep together in one of the beds - never happened......Doug & I would have to split up and have a girl each.
We would have to take sooo much 'stuff' with us back then which meant alot of loading and unloading between the car & van depending on which we wanted to be in.
The never ending middle of the night walks to the toilets with one or both of them - of course it was up to me cause Doug couldn't go into the ladies......well that's his excuse anyway :rolleyes:
Anyway, goodluck with it and looking forward to checking out when you've finished.
cheers,

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next