View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 early 80 Jayco Dove the slow rebuild begins 

Post Starky re Jayco Dove
from what I can see from the photos, besides the canvas work, you will find that a fair bit of elbow grease will show you far more than you can see now, a good soak with truck cleaner and a pressure pump you will be able to see what is underneath it and you might get a suprise, I know a couple of dents and a scratch here and there but, cleaned up and if necesary canvas replaced, you might find it is not as hard as you first thought. A pity we are so far apart for I have eight antient heavy duty sewing and canvas machines, (another hobby) You would remember the treadle sewing machines with both feet up and down and off you went, well recently I went to a auction of a saddler who had passed away, people always said he done all his heavy duty stiching by hand and he did not have a machine of any description either in the shop or out the back room, but after the auction the widow took me to her home and opened her husbands work room behind the garage and there was a very heavy duty Pedal machine in perfect condition it would be like riding a push bike one leg up and the other down, it takes needles some eight inches long (I was still able to purchase some) but it will go throught three inch thick leather like it was a limp rag, the old draught horses used to need the heavy haines and collars and so forth, any wonder his stiching was always so even and neat. well I could not let it stay there and rust away, I had never seen one like it and I'll bet there are very, very few who would have. But I have one as well as the heave duty "Singer" "Underwood", etc. but I have no doubt that that those who have ever seen one like the pedal would be very few and far between. Good Luck with your renovation of the Jayco and I am sure it will come up sparkling for you and you will get plenty of satisfaction from the finnished article.:rolleyes:
Bill and Dawn

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks very much mate iv given it a good wash and polished the door side and it came up very good .Just taking off all the stripping right now and cleaning it up and fixing where the staples have come out.I have the pictures of the inside from when i first went and looked at it but will be stripping it later in the week.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Thats a really nice project ,bet you cant wait LOL..

Cheers Rod

Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Quick update well today i got the kitchen and all the seats out lino off the floor and got most of the paneling off the walls ready to fit the new panel.Found a couple of things i will stregnthen before putting on the panels and do some new wiring ready for the breaker switch and other things.Will get some more pictures tomorrow

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Wish i had your ability to take on projects like this.

Keep the pics coming if you have time.

Cheers Rod

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Post Early 80 Jayco Dove
Hi Starkey,

I had a 1982 Dove and it was a different shape to your van.
Mine was cream in colour with yellow and lime green trim.
I would guess that yours may be and 80 or 81 model.

Regards,

Rick

Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Cheers mate thanks for the info will be good help finding out things.Didnt work on it todat but will be starting to cut the new wall sheets tomorrow as i went and picked them up today and found another problem.The trailer needs the wheel bearings doing completely shot.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Post Age of camper
We had a 1980 Jayco Swan - very similar looking to yours and there was a number on the A frame. Done by blobs of metal to form numbers!!! Can't really explain it. I emailed Jayco and they told me what year and month it was.

Good luck with rebuild

Sue

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next