View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 our old rig 

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Post our old rig
well our rig isn't as flash as some either we're towing ith a 96 VS commodore, we've had caravans for the last 10 years but the one we have now is a 15ft 1980 JAYCO songbird pop top, I put in a 100ah gel battery in the boot and another in the van, a small 20w solar panel on top, just to keep it topped up when the van is not in use, and we have a GMC 750w genny in the boot of the van, I know a lot of you are going to say that cheapy wont do the job, but we,ve just finished a 16 week tour (may-sep) of SA,NT and WA, and we did it quite well, due to heart problems I am on a pension and we can't afford new flash stuff, so we did it with what we had and we had as much fun as anyone else out there, sure if we could, we would have better, but don't be put off going on the road because your rig isn't flash, there are thousands out there doing it some with less than we have, as the saying goes, JUST DO IT, if you want to, check out our trip at www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com and C&M; mag also did a story on us which will be in Feb/Mar issue

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:22 am

Frank & Brenda 'flash' - whats that? Are you getting enjoyment and waking up every morning with a purpose and aim in life as that is really all that matters. When you fail to wake-up in the morning with a purpose and an aim is the time they bring in the backhoe and dig an 1,820mm deep hole.
A lot can see a cheapy genny wont do, but there is no reason why it will not. It is not many years ago that style of alternator design was the norm and everybody used them.

Sure, there are heaps doing it out there solely on the old age pension. Smart pensioners know how to spend money to save money and how to have a great time. I have more than a casual association with a large group of pensioner grey nomads and the ones that don't smoke, gamble/play pokies, no how to shop and buy groceries and cook, moderatly partake in a little brown or red cordial have a great time.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:48 pm

It doesn't matter how old your rig is, as long as it's working for you (and it is) and your happy that's all that matters.

I have started to read your story,(thanks for sharing it) it's a great read I'm looking forward to the C&M; write up.

Motorman has summed it up pretty well,

and as I say, Just did it while ya can.

Pathie gone Not forgotten.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Post great trip
hi frank and brenda read your trip report sounded like u had a good time we r in process of planning our retirement and heading off ... trying to set things up here so we got a income as well as secure storage..... now the hardest part is planning and bloggs like yours help tremendously ............ happy vaning cheers m@d

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Post So what if it's old!
"It doesn't matter what you have, it's the being out there that counts."

You enjoy what you have and the best thing about camping is that the person with the big rig sits around and enjoys the same fire as you. That's what it's all about.
Regards,
Denis

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]