View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Members 

Post Re: New Members
jock wrote:
G'day JSK
Check out the Hyundai Santa Fe. Diesel constant 4WD Auto. Courier Mail did test run Sydney - Melb. towing a 1.3 tonne Jayco pop-top with an A/c pod on top and Gale-force headwinds. They sat on 90KPH and averaged an incredible 10.3 litres per 100 kms...They reckon that it would have been even better if they hadn't struck the head winds..... You should be able to pick up a demo or slightlu used one within your budget.
Good luck and happy travels,
Jock :razz:

Posted similar fuel usage with the Santa Fe R SLX on a scoot up to Burrum Heads and back from Brisbane ... avg usage was around 10.5L/100km towing a 1.7 tonne van. That was also doing the speed limit where it was safe to do so.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:20 am

Hi all another couple of newbies here, we are running a 2007 ford territory RWD towing a 2003 17ft Jayco freedom poptop,but we haven't had the van out yet only just bought it and spent a load of money buying all our needs, one tip I was given was to load everything you think you need and every time you used a item in the van put a colored dot sticker on it and then when you get home remove everything that hasn't got a sticker on it and you would be surprised at how much junk you have on board. Our first trip will be to York for the Sept long weekend,happy travelling

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks for all you replies everyone.
I took the van in yesterday to get the ball weight checked and nearly died of shock !
We are talking about a 17ft pop top that weighs 1400kg - the ball weight was 250kg !
The reason for this was the manufacturer set the wheels way back to compensate for the rear kitchen.
I managed to get the weight down to 212kg by draining the water tank and removing the annex from the front boot, My tow car has a max ball weight of 210kg.
This heavy ball weight figure has made my new tow vehicle choice a lot harder as a lot of vehicles cannot handle that amount.- Remember we did not want a big truck like 4wd.
I also found out that my stabilizer bars have a max of 150kg
so i will be looking at a Hayman Reece weight distribution hitch
The next van I buy will have the wheels in the middle !!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:45 pm

h
Hi all
Terry and Bronwyn here and we are purchasing a Blue Sky Grande caravan one with the lot . Our tug will be a series 2 TD5 Discovery the GVM will be 2,800kgs. we are expecting to take delivery late this year and head off on aq shakedown in March next year. All going well w2e will then go on to travell for longer periods and greater distances.
big mac

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 am

Hi from yet another SA new member........woooow seaford..Aldinga.....we're close :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NP Pajero towing 2010 Goldstream Mini Caravan

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 am

Hi JSK1959,
Welcome to the forum.
This post seems to have just fired up.
Got a tow vehicle suggestion from what some may consider left field.
We tow with a Ssangyong Acton 2ltr turbo diesel.
Have been towing a 16' pop top for the last three years, and it does the job extremely well.
Drives like a car.
It is a twin cab ute. The cabin is spacious, as is the tub.
We have a lockable hard cover on the tub and throw a lot of spare stuff in there, even spare fuel, and there is no clutter or smell in the vehicle proper.
Have done just over 60,000ks, and about 25,000 of that towing.
We are upgrading to a full van and keen to see how it handles.
Value for money, I can't find better.
Happy travels whatever you do.

2010 Concept Ascot S9 full en-suite washer.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2