View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hey there - absolute newbie 

Post Hey there - absolute newbie
How are you all? Well, the van has been ordered and arrives in March. Then we're off from sunny Karratha WA to Brisbane. We leave in June 2010 and get home around October 2010. Never done it before and have really no idea what we're doing but you guys are helping with a lot of our questions.
We're not booking anything as we don't know when we'll be anywhere so literally flying by the seat of our pants!!!
Hopefully all will go accordingly - I can't say to plan as we don't have one!!!
If you see us in your travels (we'll be the ones looking really confused!!) say hi and have a wine with us.
Sue and Stu

2009 200 series L/cruiser
2010 23 foot Roma "Vita"

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 pm

hi sue and stu we did the same and had a ball, took a journal and wrote in it every day eg price of petrol, where we stopped and how many ks we went, even what we had to eat. Then did it again cos we have daughter in qld and son in N.S.W we even wrote the free camps down and put our own rating on them. we stayed in parks as well but only to do washing and fill up our tanks of water. we bought a map from the r.a.c that had the fruit fly zones marked as well the second time to save giving our fruit and vegies away just when we stocked up. We learnt as we went along. you can get maps aswell with free camps or buy book camps 4 or 5. Have fun planning and read as much as you can. these people on this forum have an answer for everything so ask and they will help you.

be yourself cos everyone else is taken

on on

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 pm

WELCOME to the forum.its a really good trip youre planning and you'll love it i know.
Lots of friends here and plenty of subjects for you to comment on.

Cheers Rod

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks guys, can't wait for it to happen. I've already bought the journal and got the maps and the books. Now to get the van, stock it out, do a few shakedown trips, get the houseminder and dog sitter and we'll be off!!

See you all on the road.

Sue and Stu

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
Welcome to the forum, loved Karratha when we were there, ask questions, it's the only way to learnand don't worry about a dog sitter take it with you, have a look at our blogs you'll get an idea.
Frank

http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Some of the best trips are the ones without a plan.
Hope ya have a great time!
Cheers

08 Concept Ascot

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Post sue n stu
Hi from Gippsland Victoria and a hearty welcom to the 4M, You will soon find your way around and will find many great ideas and answers to what ever you might want to find out. It might take a day or two, but you will know the answer to your question or information on a particular camp site or whatever you need to know.
You will also find out that there are many waggs on this forum who will pull your leg or whatever but it is always in fun Life is to serious and we should lighten it a little and enjoy what we have worked hard for. Anyway a hearty welcome and put your bib into whatever you read and have knowledge off.
Bill and Dawn:rolleyes:

Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile YIM

Welcome to the forum. We were going to move to Karratha at one stage but I don't like the heat lol. We will visit there one day.
You'll be like kids at Christmas when the new van arrives.

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:00 pm
Profile WWW

Trust me - no likes the heat!! We've lived in Karratha for 27 years and you don't get used to it. You just learn the best time of the year and day to do things.

For too many years we've watched the grey nomads wander through town with their vans and pop-ups and 5th wheelers and every conceivable form of accomodation and we thought " bugger it - lets do it!!"

Life's too short to drink bad wine or warm beer

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Post Welcome to the forum
Hi Sue & Stu

Den & I have just come home a few weeks ago, from our trip around oz, totally unplanned, ( May to Nov) as to where we would be at any one time. We managed to get into caravan parks without any problems including Broome.
I was worried re fuel, no worries there are petrol stations everywhere, Gas LPG also. If you are a RAC member you can get the Camp 5 book, at a discount price at RAC shops. I would advise anyone to just go and see this great country and enjoy it all.

Cheers Dana

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next