View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Features / inclusions to free camp 

Post Features / inclusions to free camp
Hi folks – we would like to include in our new van all the things that we will need to be able to free camp as we do the block in a year or three. As I understand it, if we get this right our payload will not be so much of an issue. Clearly we do not want to make the van weight too much but having the right features in the van would be good. I also understand that to a certain extent it is an individual thing. I’d be glad to hear what others think is wise/essential/helpful etc.

I have searched the forum but not really found this except perhaps when people are OT…of course that does not happen on this forum!

Will look forward to your guidance.

Thanks,
Dan

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Post Re: Features / inclusions to free camp
the boss & i are 100% freecampers.

Over the last few years we used the batteries with generator trick. This works beautifully but only last 2 maybe 3 days till you drag out the generator again.
From a caravan loading point of view its very little weight versus 3 days of battery power.

we are Now undergoing changes to our van,making it totally self supportive with solar,i cant as yet comment as its NOT finished yet but i expect to feed the van with 240VAC.Ive got sufficient panels and setup to do ir comfy the experts tell me.Issue of weight is MORE but only just more versus daily recharges for free.

I hope either way you choose to power the van will be of use to you.

Cheers Rod

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Dan,
We have two batteries, two solar panels and a 300 watt invertor. Do a fair bit of free camping and have done 7 to 8 days with no problems. Won’t work the a/c or the microwave but we rarely use them anyway. Smart move to get ideas beforehand and there are plenty of helpful people on the forum.
Ross

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Toilet/shower of course. Also an oven as you’ll have no microwave. After that you have two main issues that limit your stay: power and water.

Power is the easiest with solar/generator or combination (though personally dislike gennies running near me too much).

For water I use an external 12v pump to pump water up into a portable 200 litre water tank from a nearby river. From there I just attach the pump to the water tank and pump water into the van through a BEST inline water filter for unlimited water :-).

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Take the mesh off the water pipe inlet in the river and you’ll get FRESH fish deliverred directly into your sink LOL.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Dan,
You are in for a great experience as far as free camping goes.
The first thing you must do is buy the Camp 6 book.
With our van we feel that we have our very own unit at any tourist spot or camp site in Australia. Better than a unit on the Gold Coast. We enjoy all the comforts of home. That is:-
A generator
Solar panels
Satelite dish with our Foxtel
Portable washing machine ( Twin Tub) Will save you heaps of $$$$$$
Portble Fridge / freezer 12v and 240.
Fishing gear a must and opera nets for Red Claws
We have an ensuite van so we are now very self sufficient and set up for free camping. Oh!!! yes camp over for the good old camp fire cooking etc.
No doubt many will contribute many other ideas.
But!!! I repeat But!!!
Solar and a Gennie is a must for free camping. Well a must for us.

Don’t forget the Billy Tea.
Cheers
JayDee.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Rod, Ross, and BrettAltea, we are in the early stages on research for power. Currently looking at 2 x 130 watt solar panels, twin batteries (capacity???) and a generator box and slide (not yet confirmed gen type/cap). Also thought about an inverter but no real knowledge yet.

I will have a lot of capacity in tanks if needed but I do like the idea of a 12v pump as back up. Where do you carry the 200 lt tank?

JayDee, thanks heaps for that list! We have bought Camps 6 and have 60L ARB fridge freezer. :) Working through your list now.

Thanks all, I really do appreciate this assistance!

Dan

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop
I have copied Jay &Dee’s list, and will add my thoughts to it

A generator
we have one but it’s a cheapie, as we only do small trips (up to 6 months) every couple of years, if you intend using it a lot the get a Honda, if like us you only use it occasionally, then get a cheaper inverter type, and save your money for the
Solar panels
we have an 80 watt fold out but are considering a 120watt on the roof as well, one factor with them, is you must be parked in the sun = heat
Satelite dish with our Foxtel
do not watch enough TV for a dish, we use laptop to watch movies and TV series on hard drive
Portable washing machine ( Twin Tub) Will save you heaps of $$$$$$
we have one ($120 on ebay) and they do save money, at an average of $4 a load in laundromats and CPs, it will pay for itself in no time
Portble Fridge / freezer 12v and 240.
a must for us we stocked ours up in Perth, and we are still going on it, along with specials on meat when we see themFishing gear a must and opera nets for Red Claws
yes have one of those too
We have an ensuite van so we are now very self sufficient and set up for free camping.
our van is 31 yo so doesn’t have that but we have a shower tent and 12v shower, seeing as you are builing, get them
Oh!!! yes camp over for the good old camp fire cooking etc.
No doubt many will contribute many other ideas.
But!!! I repeat But!!!
Solar and a Gennie is a must for free camping. Well a must for us.
us too
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank you Frank – more good advice – much appreciated.

Dan

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi guys,
We went through the same process as you 18 months ago. had a van built with:
4 x 80 watt panels
2 x 120 amp hour full river gel batteries
Redarc bms1215 controller/charger/regulator/everything else ( a brilliant piece of gear)
1500/800 amp surge/constant pure sine wave inverter. don’t get the modified square wave as it may damage sensitive equipment. Have a few power points in the van wired into the inverter then the inverter can go in the front boot out of the way.
Go for a compressor fridge if you have the funds. we have a waeco cr140 and it is sufficient for two of us with enough room for beer as well. don’t forget the bigger the fridge/freezer the more power you are using.
We have found that with the solar panels and travelling every few days with an anderson plug that we don’t need a generator, we had our van built minus microwave ( a waste of space) and no air con, although we did have wiring provision in case we change our minds later.
We also had an eberspacher diesel heater fitted and it is brilliant, wouldn’t be without it.

Hope this helps.

Wayne & Karen

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next