View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CreditCards.. Pin or Sign 

Post CreditCards.. Pin or Sign
As an ex IT person I continue to sign when buying gear/meals etc via a creditcard, thinking along the lines of if someone gets access to my cred it card number and puts it into their computer system over time their computer will be able to try 1000's of combinations of pins numbers to get access to mine and empty my Card Credit.

Of course this would not/should not happen once some one has tried 3 times or so with an incorrect pin your cred it card should be locked.

But with the current problems with AT M's and Store creditcard machines the police in SA are advising every one to change their PIN Numbers once a month, I recall while working the system made me change my password every 2 weeks.

I think its still safer to sign than use a Pin, appreciating that someone can copy my signature, if they already have a docket that I have signed. But with no docket I have more of a chance of proving fraud, than if someone had just mycredit card number and pin and used them in the same suburbs where we shop.

Comments appreciated.

Peter

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 pm

[color=#000080][color=#000080]As an ex IT person before the term existed I'm completely with you Peter. [/color]
[/color]

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Our blog. Distributor and volunteer for Operation Photo Rescue

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

Pen for me!

SD

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Thats a bit Ruff!

SD

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

This thread reminds me of a bank logon technique I've been meaning to post for months. I'll begin a new thread.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:46 pm

i still sign. Went to use it as EFPOS the other day and couldn't even remember the bloody pin!

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

I prefer pin but some Efpos won't take my pin and I have to sign. I don't like signing because of the following things that have happen.

When I had signing only, one of the regular shops I used said the bank never checks, and before I could sign my slip he sign my name and the transaction went though no questions asked.

Christmas 2 years ago I get a call on my mobile from the Bank asking if I had tried to use the internet today for a couple of purchases. Told them no, Bank said their security systems flagged unusual use for me, card was cancelled, nothing charged to my account, only thing was no access to money for a couple of days til they replaced my card. Still very lucky the Bank detected the fraud attempt and stopped it.

The bank did say, it was the card number that had been copied but the expiry date was wrong and it would have been copied while I was signing the slip, needless to say I would rather use a pin now.

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:44 am

I have just come back from a trip and was using the card for fuel etc.
The new machinces that now read the micro chip in the card so you have to use your pin does not work in most places i went to,( you did not have to sign or use a pin)
I went to the bank and they told me that it is the type of reader the shops or service stations are using and they ( the ANZ ) cant do anything about it.
they say that if the card is used with out my permission the funds would be refunded,
So no security whatsoever on the visa card with the micro chip in it. so check yours out, very scary.
bob

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next