View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Cooking and Recipes - Rob and Marg 

Location: Shellharbour, NSW - when we're not on the highways of Australia!
Post Re: Cooking and Recipes - Rob and Marg
alvik wrote:
Gidday Rob & Marg. We read your recipe in the latest mag for pork in the turbo oven. We bought a Eurolab turbo oven from Deals Direct off the net ($45 delivered ) and followed your recipe. Our pork was a 1kg rack with skin left on. The crackling was beautiful and crunchy and the pork was so tender. The vegies were coated with season all ( garlic ) . Yum. Looking forward to more of your recipes. We are still working but manage to get away for a month each year in our van. Next year it will be 6 weeks. Looking forward to your next DVD. Regards
Alvik

Hi Alvik

Great: glad the pork was a success! We cooked it again a few weeks back and yep: great tasting again! We really like our little turbo oven.

It's always good to get on the road, isn't it? Guess you're gearing up for Christmas right now... and planning that six weeks away in 2011!

Cheers
Marg & Rob :-)

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Marg
I just wanted to say what a great recipe for the low fat fruit cake as soon as i get my turbo oven out of storage at christmas it will be the first one i cook, the coffe cup mud cake looks good to will you be doing other recipes for the turbo oven??

Your Dvd's are really good we watch them in the van as we to are full time grey nomads we look forward to them each month.
Take care
Enjoy your caravanning
Sandra
Tasmania postal address only. :mrgreen:

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Marg,
This recipe is just great - don't be put off by the relatively large number of ingredients it is worth it.
I have just had a full knee reconstruction and Stuart has been doing the cooking - he can't cook - yeah right.
This is his and I have adapted it for the Dream Pot or similar
:razz: :razz: :razz:
LAMB SHANKS BRAISED WITH SWEET POTATO, ROSEMARY AND GARLIC
100 milliliters oil
Salt and pepper
1 med carrot peeled and cut into chunks
4 shallots peeled and halved
4 thyme sprigs
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
45 grams pearl barley
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/4 liters chicken stock
2 lamb shanks cut in half
2 sticks celery sliced
10 cloves garlic
3 sprigs rosemary
1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 teaspoon chili paste
2 tablespoons honey
Crusty Bread to Serve

Heat oil in heavy based pan and add lamb and brown all over. Season with salt and pepper, remove and set aside in greased Dream Pot or similar.
Place pan on medium heat, add Celery, carrot, shallot, garlic, thyme, rosemary and cinnamon and cook, stirring for 15 minutes. Add to pot and add Remaining vegetables, barley, chilli, tomato paste, honey. Pour chicken stock into pan to absorb juices bring to boil and add to pot.
Bring to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes on slow simmer, transfer to Dream Pot and leave for approx 4 hours.
Serve with crusty bread and a big stick to fight off the neighbours when you lift the lid.

I hope you like it.
Lesley

Last edited by Hawkes Hideaway on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:26 pm
Profile WWW

Hi travellers,
Just a question re cobb cookers. How do you regulate the temperature for different recipes ie meat to piklets?? regards Liz Love reading peoples recipe ideas too x

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi marg thanks for the info, no not on the road yet still looking for new tug and sell house then get the new van, can't wait going buy your dvd's we should have some fun.

thanks pete &chris.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:02 pm

sandra wrote:
Hi Marg
I just wanted to say what a great recipe for the low fat fruit cake as soon as i get my turbo oven out of storage at christmas it will be the first one i cook, the coffe cup mud cake looks good to will you be doing other recipes for the turbo oven?? Your Dvd's are really good we watch them in the van as we to are full time grey nomads we look forward to them each month. Take care
Enjoy your caravanning Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Yes, we loved that low-fat fruit cake too! We'll be doing a fair bit of cooking in the turbo oven because we really like the results. And best of all, the turbo oven is SOOOOO easy to clean! Not sure what we'll be cooking next, but (hey, anyone out there!) we're always open to other recipes for the T.O.)

Glad you're enjoying the DVDs. When you you anticipate being full time "Nomads"???

Cheers
Marg & Rob

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Lizjoy8599 wrote:
Hi travellers, Just a question re cobb cookers. How do you regulate the temperature for different recipes ie meat to piklets?? regards Liz Love reading peoples recipe ideas too x

Hi Liz,

I like browsing through those recipe ideas too!

Rob and I haven't used the Cobb cooker a lot yet (we haven't had it all that long)... and we've tended to stick to roasts and grills. We just monitor it during the cooking process... you might do better to get some feedback regarding this from veteran Cobb users, or contact Cobb and ask them about different scenarios. You can download the Cobb cooking guide here:

http://www.cobb.com.au/Instruction_booklet_Sept_09.pdf

We'll be interested in the feedback to this one ourselves!

Cheers
Marg

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Hawkes Hideaway wrote:
Hi Marg, This recipe is just great - don't be put off by the relatively large number of ingredients it is worth it. I have just had a full knee reconstruction and Stuart has been doing the cooking - he can't cook - yeah right. This is his and I have adapted it for the Dream Pot or similar :razz: :razz: :razz:
LAMB SHANKS BRAISED WITH SWEET POTATO, ROSEMARY AND GARLIC .... Serve with crusty bread and a big stick to fight off the neighbours when you lift the lid. I hope you like it. Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Oh, wow, you had Rob drooling when he read this recipe. He loves his lamb shanks. We actually cooked them in the Shuttle Chef just a few weeks ago (got organic lamb shanks from the farmers' market) and it was yummy. The recipe for that one will be in the mag eventually.

However... Rob's motto is "You can never have too many recipes for lamb shanks' (or something like that) so I'm sure this one is due for a tryout very, very soon! We'll let you know when we've given it a whirl. And we'll get that big stick ready...

Actually last week I tried the soup of the day at some restaurant or other and it was pumpkin, rosemary and garlic soup. Talk about delicious. The next time I cook pumpkin soup it will be with rosemary and garlic...

Cheers
Marg :-)

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:52 pm

pete&chris wrote:
Hi marg thanks for the info, no not on the road yet still looking for new tug and sell house then get the new van, can't wait going buy your dvd's we should have some fun.
thanks pete &chris.

You will indeed have fun. And you know the best part? There are so many places you don't have time to visit on the first go around, that you know you'll have to do it again... and again... and again...

Life's tough, huh?

Cheers
Marg & Rob :-)

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Marg,
Speaking of pumpkin soup - to vary mine sometimes I mix some asian herbs in (garlic, ginger, coriandar, galangal etc) then add some coconut milk (light) to give the soup a different flavour.
Close your eyes and your in Thailand.......
Lesley

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next