View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Magazine subsciption ..WHY ...WHY ...WHY ... 

Post Magazine subsciption ..WHY ...WHY ...WHY ...
G'day to all ,or should I say Good evining ...It is starting to annoy me a bit when at least once a month I get a phone call to renew my C&M subsciption even though I have 10 issues left .And at least once a month I recieve in the mail more offers for magazines from the same publishing company ..Now a phone call has to be worth 55 cents and a stamp the same which is $1.10 x 12 = $ 13.20 .now that would be a good saving of any offer they may want to offer me to renew my subscription ..Now my wife Rosalie also subscibes to their quilting magazine ,same thing with the phone calls and mail offers ,another $ 13.20 cost ($26.40 so far ) not to mention the wasted paper which goes in the re-cycling bin ..I would think it wouldn't be too diffucult to check peoples addresses and send both magazines together and save on paper and maybe postage ..In the end hopefully a cheaper magazine for all and the offers for subcriptions would still be in the packaging that comes with the magazine ...What do you all think ,I have mentioned this to the callers but never get much of a response I suppose they are just reading of a prepared spiel ....Cheers ..BoB...

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Post Re: Magazine subsciption ..WHY ...WHY ...WHY ...
Hi Labrat,
I get the same phone calls, and reply by saying "I'm travelling next year, and will buy my magazines as I go"
Last week I got two phone calls in successive evenings (not meal times though). It's called "marketing" but doesn't work with me. I'll order subscriptions when I'm ready. This doesn't mean I don't like the product, just don't like the "marketing"
Cheers
Moorey

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Fellas, are you using the 'Do Not Call' register. Since I did 3 years ago only once have I received a marketing call. It was from Medibank, of all places. I complained to them about being on the DNC register and they apologised profusely and gave me an extra month's free premium. The DNC register is a powerful tool.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 pm

we are on the do not call register and still get calls from express publications last call I infromed them that I will not renew due to the constant calls from them

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

They have been ringing me a couple of times, the first time i thought it was about me winning a competition! But anyway, took up the offer to renew yesterday, 20 copies for $90, bargain i thought, now they might stop ringing for a while!
pete

2007 Crewman
1998 15' Royal Flair Comet

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:54 pm

tybo wrote:
we are on the do not call register and still get calls from express publications last call I infromed them that I will not renew due to the constant calls from them
Tybo, if any business persists in calling report them. Some info from the DNC register.....

Once your number(s) are listed on the register, telemarketers and fax marketers must not contact those numbers.

Any business that either calls or faxes a listed number, or arranges for calls or faxes to be made or sent on its behalf, may be in breach of the legislation and could face penalties (see Enquiries & Complaints).

To complain about receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls or marketing faxes, or to receive more information about the register, the Act, or the industry standard for telemarketing and research calls, visit the Enquiries and Complaints page.

If you continue to receive telemarketing calls or marketing faxes once your number is registered, it is important to note down and provide the ACMA with:
- the time and date of the call or fax
- the phone number on which the call or fax was received
- your phone service provider
- the details of the call or fax or a copy of the fax

The more information you can provide us about the call or fax you received, the more effectively we will be able to handle the matter.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:54 am

What my point was really is if the cost saved from the phone calls and mailing offers could be taken off the subscription cost .There current deal is $90 for 20 copies which is pretty good but what would be better is if they took off the $15.00 dollars phone and mailing cost of any new subscription make it cheaper again and over two years $30 now that is $60 for 20 copies ..bargain ...I can always hang the phone up on them when they ring even though that is a bit rude and throw the mailed letters in the bin (a waste ) ,In all the years I have subscribed and I have only once done so over the phone,so all their efforts except for once have been in vain ..I probally will not re-new my sub as I find it diffucult sit and read the magazine at any length as it seems less interesting ..In past years the magazine would have been read from cover to cover in two days and looked at again 6 months later ..Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy and harder to please and when you read so many peoples problems with new vans with leaks and many other things and the big dollars they are asking for most vans these days seems over the top ...Cheers ...Bob...

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 am

Re the Do Not Call Register, note that one of the exemptions from this is -
"•Where individuals have an established business relationship with an organisation and consent can be reasonably inferred from that relationship. For example, it would be reasonable for an individual to expect a call from the bank they have a current account with or their electricity supplier. This is inferred consent and it can be terminated at any time. "

Having a subscription already with them is inferred consent and they are still permitted to call you. Though I agree, calling once, when your subscription is getting down to the last few issues is reasonable, calling regularly even though you have 10 months to go is not.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile WWW

Az, from a purely lay perspective I agree with your comment about inferred consent. However, even if it is my bank or utility and I tell them once that I don't want marketing calls then I would expect that would immediately and unequivocally remove any future inference of consent.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:48 pm

hi there ok to pay in advance but what happens when the companies fold

done yu $
and companys do fold

ill buy mine from the news agency mite cost a little bit more but at least i get it

is the company searching for more sales because of harder times

im not a big poster but over the last few months i have noticed a lot of comments on people sayingthere not renewing there subs

wonder why

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]