Your rights to free camping in Australia

Info and Announcements for the C&M Team
LeanneTomkins
Ex-staff

Your rights to free camping in Australia

Post by LeanneTomkins » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am

Some of you may have seen this message from Fred in the recent C&M newsletter. What do you think about this serious issue?

_____

Dear readers of C&M,
Your rights to free camping in Australia are not just under threat, they may soon be a thing of the past. You owe it to yourselves to be as informed as possible of the current changes and future decisions by Government bodies to force you into caravan parks.
At the moment, there is a movement to take away your rights. CNPs (or, Competitive Neutrality Principles) are designed to prevent unfair competition between Governments and privately owned businesses. In the case of the provision of overnight camping services for self-contained RVs, these services must do so on fair and equal terms with private operators, where it is in the public interest to do so. This means that governments must charge us to stay in free camps, which could see the closure of many around Australia.
C&M supports both free-camping and caravan parks for RVers. We support the right to choose and freedom of choice, not government restrictions designed to force RVers into caravan parks. We do not accept that one solution fits all and especially believe that government restrictions impact most heavily on and punish those who have limited resources and are the most vulnerable.
Let us know what you think about this serious issue by emailing [email protected] with your thoughts.
Leanne Tomkins

C&M Production Editor
[email protected]

4wd26
Avid poster

Re: Your rights to free camping in Australia

Post by 4wd26 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:08 pm

LeanneTomkins wrote:Some of you may have seen this message from Fred in the recent C&M newsletter. What do you think about this serious issue?

_____

Dear readers of C&M,
Your rights to free camping in Australia are not just under threat, they may soon be a thing of the past. You owe it to yourselves to be as informed as possible of the current changes and future decisions by Government bodies to force you into caravan parks.
At the moment, there is a movement to take away your rights. CNPs (or, Competitive Neutrality Principles) are designed to prevent unfair competition between Governments and privately owned businesses. In the case of the provision of overnight camping services for self-contained RVs, these services must do so on fair and equal terms with private operators, where it is in the public interest to do so. This means that governments must charge us to stay in free camps, which could see the closure of many around Australia.
C&M supports both free-camping and caravan parks for RVers. We support the right to choose and freedom of choice, not government restrictions designed to force RVers into caravan parks. We do not accept that one solution fits all and especially believe that government restrictions impact most heavily on and punish those who have limited resources and are the most vulnerable.
Let us know what you think about this serious issue by emailing [email protected] with your thoughts.
Part in bold- how will charging us to camp shut them down- would have thought the opposite.
Unless you are referring to “free camps” as free in terms of money, not free as in freedom.

we keep getting conflicting views from your publication as to which definition you subscribe to :???:
’08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
[b][i]Blog -> [url=http://sites.google.com/site/australiagettingoutthere/home]Getting Out There[/url][/i][/b]

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks Leanne,
I have made a reply to the email address as requested.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Leanne,
I have also sent in a reply.
glanyard

tommie
On a roll

Post by tommie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Well,we just stop on the side of the road,and anyone comes along to move us,,,We were too tired to continue travelling,,,put that in your pipe and smoke it,,,They would have a huge job enforcing it..
A man must do,what a man’s gotta do.

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18′ poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:46 pm

The issue is a beat up by the caravan parks association to force freecampers in to caravan parks in towns, BUT is also being used as a beat up by the opposition to the CP lobby, that most freecamps will close, NOT so, it will only affect the freecamps in areas close to towns, anything more than 40km from a caravan park cannot be affected as there is no competition.
If I choose to stay in a roadside rest area overnight, no one has the right to tell me to move on, if I feel I have travelled long enough for the day, I’m tired and I feel it would be dangerous for me and other road users if I were to continue, no police officer in his right mind would order me to move on.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for freecamping and I love to use them whenever possible, we have used many in towns where there was a CP, but only because we like the freedom of a freecamp and not the closeness of a CP, in robe for example there are a few freecamps around the place, IF you can get in, and there is also the Bushland cabins and caravan park, that is a place that offers the best of both worlds with power loos, showers etc and plenty of space for $22 a night with no minimum, we’ve been there and will go back again, over another place where we were so crammed in over one Easter, that our 15ft van had it’s tow attachment over the roadway, there was only just enough room to put our 7ft awning out and the car was parked with 2 wheels on the roadway, all for $40 a night and minimum 5 nights :shock:
Frank

two.ringers
An old hand

Post by two.ringers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:20 pm

We have sent our thoughts in also.

Regards
Dave n Jen
Dave n Jen
Otron Van

Return to “From the C&M Team”