Battery Charger

Info and Announcements for the C&M Team
DENISB
I’m new, be nice!

Battery Charger

Post by DENISB » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Guys,
Hoping you can help me with my battery charger for in van battery. The battery I beleive is a calcium deep cycle battery and the battery charger is an ELECTRO 12VDC 15Amp 3 Stage switch mode. It has 3 selection catagories on it being:

1. Power Supply – Battery Charger

2. Battery Type (Gel – Wet – Calcium)

3.Float Voltage ( 13.2 – 13.5 – 13.8 )

I would like to know what I should have it on when 1. Connected to power and charging battery while van in storage (every 4-6 weeks). 2. When pulling van behind vehicle while on holidays. 3. When in Caravan Park and connected to Power. Hoping you can help with this problem.

Denis Berry
Email: [email protected]

Jeffie
An old hand

Re: Battery Charger

Post by Jeffie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

DenisB,

I’m no expert on the subject and I did think someone would reply who knows about these things.

I have 2 x 100amp Calcium batteries charged by a Projecta 25amp charger.
When plugged into the power(either at home or in a Van Park) the book says to set the charger to WET(charging at 13.7volts) for general “top up” charging and to change the setting to Calcium (charging at 14.7volts) when required to give it a boost charge.
I do this “boost charging” about once a month when it is sitting at home for the 6-8 months each year.

As for charging from your car I would suppose it charges at the rate set by the alternator – but I could be wrong – didn’t think you could set the charge rate from the tug??? could be wrong again!

Hope this is of some help or it stirs up someone else who knows better.

Jeff.
Jeff & Heather
Isuzu MU-X LST
Coronet Grand Prince.

DENISB
I’m new, be nice!

Post by DENISB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks Jeff,

Gives me some idea – its about what I thought I should be doing. I see you have a Coronet Prince as do I – in a pop top.

Cheers
Denis

ParamountCruiser
Avid poster

Post by ParamountCruiser » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 pm

First I would recommend that you find out the make, type & size of battery that you have, then look up the website for that brand/type of battery and it should tell you what absorption & float voltages to set your charger to.
Neil

Return to “From the C&M Team”