Perth to Brisbane, free camping

Chat to fellow Rvers about general topics
Alex-Christine

Perth to Brisbane, free camping

Post by Alex-Christine » Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 pm

We are about to travel from Perth to Brisbane doing some free camping, would appreciate any feedback on some of the camps we are thinking about. Yerdani Well, Baxter rest area, 13k Peg and Puntabie rest area. Leave 15th July. Thanks
2005 Prado, 23' Regal comfort tourer

glanyard

Re: Feedback

Post by glanyard » Sat May 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Check the grey nomads bible, Camps Australia Wide. I personally don't know those you have mentioned.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Engel

Post by Engel » Sat May 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Wikicamps.

Alex-Christine

Post by Alex-Christine » Sat May 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks, i was specifically looking for feedback from travellers that may have stayed in these places.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sat May 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Most would have been have been stayed at by the authors and contributors, us.
Read the book; we are not telling too many lies. And besides if it was not suitable I certainly would not have submitted it for inclusion in the "Bible".
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sat May 06, 2017 10:43 pm

When it is getting near time to stop, we just pick a rest area that goes well back from the Highway and preferably screened by vegetation, as the transport keeps going all night. As travel times can vary, we do not pre-plan at all. Some of these (Western Australia) which are designated 24 hour rest areas, with pit toilet and possibly a tank, get quite a lot of campers in them. You have station fences most of the way until Mundrabilla, from then on you can get off the road in many places. There are also some lovely large rest areas going across the Eyre Peninsula (no toilets in South Australian rest areas. I have noted there are track to get further back at Puntabie (south side).

At Kimba, there are two options (donation requested); recreation reserve with toilets and a coin operated shower, and Lions Park near swimming pool, toilets, (donation requested).

At Wirrulla there is a small low cost camping area with power, toilets and showers.

We have used Camps Australia Wide to help. Wikicamps, which I do not have, is far more comprehensive. Mostly we choose a spot, but if it is getting late and we haven't found a good spot we use Camps Australia Wide. Sometimes the first one we choose is too close to the road, so we go to the next.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Jay&dee

Post by Jay&dee » Sun May 07, 2017 7:37 am

Wikicamps is the way to go.Many of the sights have comments and photos. The comments are virtually as good as what we could recommend.
Don't forget the "Bush Telegraph". Other travellers along the way are only to pleased to give you advice.
Safe trip
Jay&Dee

dieseltojo

Re: Perth to Brisbane, free camping

Post by dieseltojo » Sun May 07, 2017 4:49 pm

I have the camps Australia app in my Garmin GPS. Very handy as if you go to (camps in the GPS), it shows everything in the area.
As Mother hen says, things vary quite a bit with proceedings etc.

As a plan I might settle on approx 300 klm per day and note what is in that area. We never get too hard and fast.

Above attitude due to being a retiree..... :) (Nothing to do do with fitting tyres.)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Alex-Christine

Re: Perth to Brisbane, free camping

Post by Alex-Christine » Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 am

Thank you all for your feedback, now have Wikicamps and Fuel App, Cheers.

Return to “Travel Chat”