Traveling with a mid-sized dog

Chat to fellow Rvers about general topics
masterplumber

Traveling with a mid-sized dog

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi all,
I am looking for feedback regarding caravanning with a Dog/Bitch.

We are really on just about to get into serious caravanning and have been without a pet for about 30 months.

Our old Vizsla passed away in October 2014 and we haven't replaced her.

To be honest even though I miss her, life is a little more simple now.

The wife wants another Bitch.

Personally having a wife and three daughters, makes me more inclined towards a Dog. (male)

From my observations the size of the pet can be a problem, even in pet friendly parks.

As I am thinking of another Vizsla, with a similar temperament to a GSP, caravanning might not be ideal.

I have been told that a Vizsla Dog would be more laid back than a Vizsla Bitch.

Don't really want a little fluff ball either.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Archer63

Re: Traveling with a mid-sized dog

Post by Archer63 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Gee Gerry...that is a tough one.

You are right about the size of the dog being unwelcome in some places. We have an undesexed male ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback and he is the best, most affectionate dog we have ever had. Haven't tried yet, but I have a feeling as soon as I mentioned that to a park owner he would get the thumbs down.

So back to topic...what sort of dog ?

What about a beagle...not too big...but not too small...gets on well with other dogs and are people friendly. Only problem I can see with them though is that they tend to have selective hearing and once they've got a scent they tend to follow it....something to consider when travelling.

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Yes Rob, size.

Although all parks are not the same.

For the recent Fly-ball Nationals in Sydney, the Redlands Team stayed in a caravan park, with dogs as diverse as : Border Collies, Australian Shepherds, Cavoodle and of course Vizsla.

When we stayed in Ballina Lakeside a while back they had a 10Kg limit.

You couldn't walk a dog through the park.

The lakefront is dog free council land as is the parkland on either side.

So if you have a dog, you must drive them out, to take them for a walk.

I mentioned to one of the staff that that would limit it to fluff balls, who from my experience can be trouble makers.

This might be because of their size, they may feel threatened.

One of the grand-dogs is also a Vizsla and was great with other dogs until a fluff-ball nipped her on the nose. Now Ruby is pre-emptive.

The wife thought of a Sheltie, but looks like too much grooming.

Beagles can be destructive although intelligent.

Don't want anything that is going to have higher grooming costs than the Mrs. DYI No2. does me.

Simplest thing would be to remain dog-less.

Have had my name down with Vizsla Rescue, and although I, unlike the Mrs don't really want a pooping machine, I couldn't handle cremating another anytime soon.

And at 10 years old, a Vizsla would probably fret to death anyway, as they are a Velcro dog.

Regards
Gerry

PS. your Avatar looks good and I haven't seen it disappear like the old one.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Archer63 wrote:Gee Gerry...that is a tough one.

You are right about the size of the dog being unwelcome in some places. We have an undesexed male ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback and he is the best, most affectionate dog we have ever had. Haven't tried yet, but I have a feeling as soon as I mentioned that to a park owner he would get the thumbs down.

So back to topic...what sort of dog ?

What about a beagle...not too big...but not too small...gets on well with other dogs and are people friendly. Only problem I can see with them though is that they tend to have selective hearing and once they've got a scent they tend to follow it....something to consider when travelling.

Cheers
Rob
Rob,
another daughter has a Ridgeback now and I haven't let her off leash.

Her predecessor, also a Ridgeback, was a real bitch in every sense if she got loose.

Wouldn't come when called and was built for speed, which I am not.

Only way to get Tyra was to have someone else hiding while I got Tyra to chase me and run past where they were waiting to pounce.

Had he with me at Birkdale Gardens and a bloke approached me as he had previously had two Ridgies.

So I ask him if he had trouble with them coming when called.

He replied that the Male always came when called the female came when she was ready.

And yes a "Non-de-sexed" dog could definitely be a problem.

Regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

GeeCee

Post by GeeCee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:59 am

We have an adopted four legged grand daughter. You all know the story "daughter leaves home, comes back with a dog, leaves home again, dog stays". That was 8 years ago and of course this beautiful creature is now ours and we adore her ...so affectionate.

We take her camping and have to look for dog friendly parks although she is so friendly and we are meticulous about cleaning up after her. Would we buy another dog to travel with .....NO NO NO!!!

Too much trouble having her minded while we do National Parks, shopping, attractions etc.

She is 13 now so we will be devastated when she goes but no more dogs.

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:51 am

A bit of a tussle isn't it.

Yes....no.

Wife has always said no more dogs for the reasons mentioned.....but I've always had them. Short haired whatever would be my pick. Maybe a pound dog ?
Forgot to mention...mutt soon to be desexed....finally fed up with his spraying on just about everything down stairs.

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 am

Gerry, I'm with Geecee, we have 2 Maltese x Shi tzu now that we live in a unit (we always had German Shepherds and it was quite a change) and e love them dearly but we've both said that when these to head off over the rainbow bridge we will not have another dog

Travelling with them is too restrictive.
If you are in a town you can't both go into a shop together as
1. you don't know the area and can't leave the dog alone and
2. a lot of shops now don't allow you to leave a dog tied up outside so one of you has to stay outside

While you are travelling, the dog always has to be on the lead as in CPs it's the rules, in freecamps you never know what wild animal is around and if your dog is going to chase after it and then there are snakes,also you don't want it to annoy the "neighbours" believe me some people get very annoyed and rude if your dog goes to them for a pat

Then you can't go into any national park, most attractions will refuse dogs, can't take them into markets and the list goes on

For these reasons we will not be getting dogs after our 2 go, it will be a hard adjustment after 40 years so far of having canine companions

Frank

ALAN1963

Post by ALAN1963 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:39 am

Hi,

Agree with Frank and GeeCee. We ended up in the same situation as GeeCee except it was our son and a American Staffie.
Lovely dog and we have had her 4 years now, love her too bits, but would not want one if we were travelling for the reasons mentioned.
We are not retired yet so it is not so bad but it can be an imposition and restricts what you can do even if its only a weekend away type thing.

So no dogs for us once she departs.

Cheers AL

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

You have confirmed what I already knew, deep down. Dog+caravan=PITA

Might have to work on getting the long trips done and dusted in the next couple of years.

Then perhaps revisit the dog thing as the daughters would be able to babysit for a month or so.

Just returning the favour, as I have one grand-dog coming for a month when mum goes OS.

Good to get the confirmation, even though, "Everything will be rosy" would have been better.

Rob, you will save some $$$ after you send off proof to RCC that your Ridgie is no longer a "Whole Dog"

Funny how some put it off.

Was working at a Capalaba Vet when an owner and nurse placed a bundle wrapped in a bed spread in the back of a ute.

Later I said to the nurse "euthanasia" ?

"What was wrong with him?"

She replied that council had given the owner two options. De-knacker or euthanasia.

The owner decided on euthanasia. Bet he didn't consult the dog first!! :cry:

Although, judging buy the cage on the ute he may have been bred for "pigging".

regards
Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Archer63

Post by Archer63 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Makes a lot of sense Gerry.

I have had dogs desexed before...my previous dog to this one was a Doberman that was a real handful...naughty puppy...and became a bigger problem the older he got. I have had one before that was a great family dog...but not this one and I made the hard decision to safeguard my family by having him put down. Desexed him at 6mths but it made no difference at all.
This current mutt is the most loving family dog we have ever had and I saw no need to have him desexed as his nature is gentle but at the the same time very capable of protecting his family.

Unfortunately when my late sister was in the last stage of her life, I gave a commitment to her that we would take in her two 9 year old doodoo's...male and female both desexed. But that didn't stop the male spraying everywhere and teaching my then 6mth puppy to do the same. The both lived a natural life and we had both for 4-5 years. My 6 year old ridgy appears to enjoy marking his territory more than ever and I've finally reached the point where the time has come for his tackle to be removed.

I sincerely hope this makes a difference !!

Cheers
Rob
Live For Today

Return to “Travel Chat”