Maria Island Tasmania

Chat to fellow Rvers about general topics
J.REEVES

Maria Island Tasmania

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 am

Has anyone done a day trip to Maria Island and if so can you see enough in the day or do you need to camp a couple of days?

They have a very basic accommodation in the jail.

To see the sites would you need to be super fit or could you just casually walk around the main area?

JR
:razz:

TramcarTrev

Re: Maria Island Tasmania

Post by TramcarTrev » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 am

J.REEVES wrote:Has anyone done a day trip to Maria Island and if so can you see enough in the day or do you need to camp a couple of days?

They have a very basic accommodation in the jail.

To see the sites would you need to be super fit or could you just casually walk around the main area?

JR
:razz:
I have done a day trip a few years ago I'd think you would need at least 4 days to do the walk, you would need a reasonable level of fitness, it's not a flat place We had around a 5 hour walk and just stayed within the "touristy bit"
There are vehicles on the island but not for public use

Edit: this is the same tour that we did but now of course more expensive; http://adventuretasmania.com.au/tasmani ... ruise-walk

DO NOT VISIT IN HOLIDAY PERIODS, it gets very crowded
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Sailor Staines

Post by Sailor Staines » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:00 am

I recommend taking a tour. Maria is a wild rugged place and even walking you miss most of the highlights. There is a cruise right around the island now which we done last January. In a large RIB, sure gets rough on the eastern side.

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:36 am

It looks fantastic, from history to fascinating rocks. I am sorry we missed it. When camped looking across to the island (campground now closed) we had no idea there was so much of interest and beauty there.

Did the tour include walks to see features on the island Seaman Staines? Was it very expensive?
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

BennyT50

Post by BennyT50 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Did the day trip a few couple of years ago. The boat we found only went on certain days, but we were lucky as a school group were going so they fitted us on. You will need a National Parks pass (fairly sure).

The main part of the island can be done on foot, but if you want to go further out to see what is on the island, then you need to hire bikes, which we did. They weren't that expensive, but can be hired from the ranger station on the island, or take your own on the ferry.

You used to be able to camp there as well, but, again from memory, there are no supplies on the isand as regards food. THat may have changed since we visited a few years ago.

You get the ferry in Triabunna. We emailed and booked.

Hope this helps.

BennyT50
BennyT50

Sailor Staines

Post by Sailor Staines » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:22 pm

The circumnavigation cruise is tricky. The company that runs the tours works a first in best dressed policy so the first person who books for a day gets to choose what tour is up. we booked 2 days in advance i think. The tourist place in Triabunna organised it for us.
It cost us around $400 for 2 of us. Good meals with local foods and you can see all there is to see unless your into the bear grylls stuff. We did see heaps of wildlife including a Devil dragging a dead seabird across a beach.
There are a few convict buildings to see at Darlington and you can see them in an hour.

Return to “Travel Chat”