Caravan or Motorhome - that is the question

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
PAAnders2

Caravan or Motorhome - that is the question

Post by PAAnders2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi folks, we are new to this forum and am in the early stages of looking at our travel home. We are both still in the work life but are now starting to discuss the options. With some specific items that are "required" like ensuite, under 20 feet if caravan, unfortunately no former coaches I find myself in a bit of a puzzle.
I just wondered whether any others out there had faced the question of caravan or motorhome?

Peter :?:

Old Techo

Re: Caravan or Motorhome - that is the question

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:13 pm

G'day and welcome Peter :)

Caravan vs Motorhome has been discussed a few times. I expressed my view here 8 years ago and not changed my thinking.

Just ignore the first para.... http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 8248#p8248
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Gooday Peter.You're in for a bit of fun if you're about to get an RV.
Van or Motorhome ?
Hmmm..
I guess most travellers start of with a van with some progressing to a campervan or motorhome.
We've done exactly that mainly because it suits our style of travel.
We had a 16' Jayco which did us well for 4yrs until we started tripping around to music festivals and lots of short weekend trips.
The van itself was great, but for a quick getaway you can't beat a c/van or motorhome.
No hooking up, home from work at 5.30, drive out of the yard and on our way by 6. ;-)
Our choice at this stage is a Hiace Campervan but over the next 12/18mths we hope to move up to a larger unit with shower and dunny.
We spend the vast majority of our time outside so inside space is not a big consideration for us but most seem to have plenty.

What style of travel do you envisage Peter ?
Where to?
Any 'serious off-road' stuff ?
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

Motherhen

Post by Motherhen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Yes Peter, we initially thought a motorhome (or truck mounted) rig would be best, but we chose caravan in the end partly because we do not travel full time, so the tow vehicle has other uses at home. I will send you a private message.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

jock

Post by jock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:59 am

Yeah. Welcome to the Forum Peter. As OT says, this subject has been discussed several times before and, I'm sure, you'll find lots more discussion on the positives and negatives on all the other caravan and camping type forums.

I note that you are still in your working lives therefore would suggest that, as you may have limited holiday times per annum, you'd probably be better off with a caravan. IMO A motorhome of any size is just too cumbersome and awkward to drive around as your everyday vehicle/shopping trolley.

They may well be more convenient when you head off on a camping trip but ,apart from the above, they present quite a few disadvantages when camping... leaving your site to explore the area's attractions is always awkward except when you're in a C.P. (generally) ... limited ability to head down to that iconic beach (sic) etc. etc.

It should be noted, however, that we are all different in our likes and dislikes, driving abilities, affordability etc. etc....You may well feel uneasy about towing a caravan.... But, above all, you are doing the sensible thing..asking around.

Let's know your final decision..

Jock :)

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”