5th Wheel Manufacturers

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
Sean

Re: 5th Wheel Manufacturers

Post by Sean » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 am

There’s a reason that these 5th wheelers are cheap in the US and not cheap here.

People in the US want them

People here don’t

So rather than a manufacturer having a production line banging them out Henry Ford style you’re looking at a company building it more like a Morgan, hence the higher cost.

The Iveco will be a pain to take into any busy car parks, the 5th wheeler will be a pain to park anywhere.

I’d suggest a bus, towing a trailer with a 4WD on it.

If you really want the 5th wheel style spend $10k on this, rip out the chiller unit and build some windows doors and walls.

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/privat … &pss=Price

Then go and buy something that’s really and truly intended to tow a trailer that big, Mack and Kenworth are pricey options – I’d suggest looking at Volvos. Get something with X locks and air bag suspension.

Get something that has space to add an extra seat, it’s common to do in trucks that are used for driver training.

If you don’t feel that you’re capable of getting a semi license you really shouldn’t be setting off with a 38′ 5th wheeler behind a light truck

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Hey Ron, have you had any previous experience handling a unit as big as you envisage ?
I’m not knocking your idea exactly, but if you do have some experience with this sized unit you would probably already be aware of any pitfalls regarding driving, parking, site sizes and the like.
Lance & Anne
……always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 am

glanyard wrote:Captain,
With a motor home the size appropriate for you, tow a car/4 x 4 behind on either a trailer or use an A Frame setup.The smart motorhomer does this.
glanyard
MMmmm, I think I might need to investigate this option further. Any recommendations on where to start?
“Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted.”

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 am

OK, the motorhome suggestion, towing a car, makes a lot of sense. I think I need to do more homework. Thanks for the ‘heads up’ guys.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 am

Sean wrote:There’s a reason that these 5th wheelers are cheap in the US and not cheap here.

People in the US want them

People here don’t

So rather than a manufacturer having a production line banging them out Henry Ford style you’re looking at a company building it more like a Morgan, hence the higher cost.

The Iveco will be a pain to take into any busy car parks, the 5th wheeler will be a pain to park anywhere.

I’d suggest a bus, towing a trailer with a 4WD on it.

If you really want the 5th wheel style spend $10k on this, rip out the chiller unit and build some windows doors and walls.

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/privat … &pss=Price

Then go and buy something that’s really and truly intended to tow a trailer that big, Mack and Kenworth are pricey options – I’d suggest looking at Volvos. Get something with X locks and air bag suspension.

Get something that has space to add an extra seat, it’s common to do in trucks that are used for driver training.

If you don’t feel that you’re capable of getting a semi license you really shouldn’t be setting off with a 38′ 5th wheeler behind a light truck
The Motorhome idea does make sense and I am looking into it. Initial drawbacks seem to price and no second, dedicated, bedroom/bathroom (something I absolutely have to have) – even in a 40 footer. I have an HR class licence, so no problem there.
There are plenty of ladies out there having no problem navigating car parks in their Iveco – they may just have to park a bit further away from the door to the supermarket.
One of the reasons I joined this forum is to get as many ideas as possible – forcing me to think is the way to eventually make the best choice. Thanks for your participation, Sean.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:00 am

Lance wrote:Hey Ron, have you had any previous experience handling a unit as big as you envisage ?
I’m not knocking your idea exactly, but if you do have some experience with this sized unit you would probably already be aware of any pitfalls regarding driving, parking, site sizes and the like.
No, Lance, my experience is very limited. I do have an HR class licence but got it a long time ago.
I believe I have considered most of the drawbacks of operating a rig this size. People seem very eager to point them out.
I am looking into the Motorhome suggestion now, as well.
How does one get experience driving big rigs – without driving big rigs?
Friends and people I have spoken to say that a 5th Wheeler is totally unlike a caravan and no big deal to handle.
Thanks for keeping me honest.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Find a driving school that does HC training and if you’re a bit out of practice with a Road Ranger then find one that has an automatic prime mover.

Up to you if you get the license upgrade, but otherwise just explain your situation and book a few hours of learning to go around corners in an articulated vehicle

For your budget I’d be looking for an interstate double decker (something designed for highway speeds rather than a public tranport bus from the city), giving it a good mechanical overhaul and setting it up with your dual living areas.

You can then tow a trailer that carries a car, and perhaps a boat as well

This might work for inspiration, but would undoubtedly be a touch over budget if you included the helicopter:
http://www.alienproductions.com.au/about/ultimus-prime/

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 am

Sean wrote:Find a driving school that does HC training and if you’re a bit out of practice with a Road Ranger then find one that has an automatic prime mover.

Up to you if you get the license upgrade, but otherwise just explain your situation and book a few hours of learning to go around corners in an articulated vehicle

For your budget I’d be looking for an interstate double decker (something designed for highway speeds rather than a public tranport bus from the city), giving it a good mechanical overhaul and setting it up with your dual living areas.

You can then tow a trailer that carries a car, and perhaps a boat as well

This might work for inspiration, but would undoubtedly be a touch over budget if you included the helicopter:
http://www.alienproductions.com.au/about/ultimus-prime/
OK, I was wondering what to do with my `chopper`.
I had planned on doing a bit of articulated training before heading out. Licence upgrade worth considering.
Thanks for your interest. Regards.

A’van

Post by A’van » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 pm

E&H
Toyota Aurion + A’van Aliner

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 am

Thanks Hans, every bit helps – all aspects have to be considered.

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”