5th Wheel Manufacturers

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
Captain Ron

5th Wheel Manufacturers

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:07 am

I am sourcing manufacturers capable of building a 40 foot, custom 5th Wheel van. Simple parameters - "bullet proof" construction able to handle the Great Central Road. All composite frame/wall construction. (no timber other than for quality cabinetry).
So far I have interest from:- Roswal Industries.
Mountaincraft.
Xtreme.
Trailblazers.
Venture Van.
The main problem with having a van built in Australia is the very high labor and services component, which make it hard to compete against the imported product.

Any first hand recommendations greatly appreciated.
"Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted."

glanyard

Re: 5th Wheel Manufacturers

Post by glanyard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 am

Capt,
There are a couple of horse float manufacturers in the Brisbane area, who have expanded their business to build 5th wheelers.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 am

glanyard wrote:Capt,
There are a couple of horse float manufacturers in the Brisbane area, who have expanded their business to build 5th wheelers.
glanyard
Roswal Industries is the only one I know of.

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 am

Southern Cross 5th Wheelers and Caravans is another one.
I suggest you search Mr Google using a number of headings as I just did and you'll find a host of manufacturers.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

peter chandler

Post by peter chandler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Capt. Are you considering the imported American 5th wheelers they look pretty impressive

Stuartandjan

Post by Stuartandjan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Smiff Industries build a pretty good one but it appears they have gone bankrupt.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 am

glanyard wrote:Southern Cross 5th Wheelers and Caravans is another one.
I suggest you search Mr Google using a number of headings as I just did and you'll find a host of manufacturers.
glanyard
Southern Cross, out of production.

Google search is very frustrating, businesses gone bust, out of date contact details, plus.......there are very few manufacturers that can build to the size I am after.

That is why I am asking for first hand recommendations.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:56 am

peter chandler wrote:Capt. Are you considering the imported American 5th wheelers they look pretty impressive
Yes, I am in contact with Spectrum RVs on the Gold Coast. Seen their operation and very impressed with what I saw. They import then do all the conversion and modification to bring the vans up to ADS and full compliance.

The only thing I do not like is that the USA still uses Luan and ply in their wall and floor construction and I do not want any timber used other than for quality cabinetry.

I have spoken with a number of owners who have vans from Spectrum and all reports are good.

From the quotes I have coming in it is going to be difficult for an Australian manufacturer to compete due to Australia's ridiculous cost of living, service charges and taxes - but I am still hoping to have it built here.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 am

G'day and Welcome Ron :)

We left Peterborough van park yesterday but not before taking some pics of a Spectrum RV.

I knew it was a Yankee conversion as it had 2 doors on the wrong side but a door was added to the correct side for Oz compliance...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jock

Post by jock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:12 am

Another Aussie 5th. wheeler mnfr. is Travelhome in Newcastle. They do a very distinctive, aerodynamic unit in several sizes and, as far as I am aware, meet your construction specs.
I do not know if they are able or willing to change their specs to suit your requirements though.....Worth a check as I have had, in the past, first hand knowledge of their high building standards.

Jock :)

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”