Traveling advice

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
peter chandler

Traveling advice

Post by peter chandler » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi folks. Be a while since I've been on here and I've a question to ask.my wife and I have a converted bus that we do small trips in but we hope to be on the road permanently at the end of the year but we think our Motorhome will be to crowed for permanent living. We have been talking to a few people who have friends traveling in American 5th wheelers and duel cab trucks they told us they absolutely love them. We would value fellow members opinions and advice. Regards Peter and Sharyn

J.REEVES

Re: Traveling advice

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Peter,
I like the principle of a fifth wheeler but not the big American ones! Some of the Ausi fifth wheels are much more proportional in construction and look much more stable to tow. Towing with the tow load on the rear wheels or in front of the rear wheels of the tow vehicle is far better than how a caravan is towed.

Also with a fifth wheeler you can leave the van bit at the camp and drive your vehicle into town. If free camping it can be a problem if you leave the camp site with the bus to go to town and return to find someone has your spot. Some people leave there table and chairs to mark their territory but is not always successful.

Yes if you are going to live in the thing you will need something of a reasonable size.

How big is your bus, does it have toilet shower, washing machine, lots of solar and batteries, large water capacity and grey water tank and so on?

JR
:razz:

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:22 am

Peter,
I totally agree with JR; the Aust built ones can be more appropriate to us.
If I was going through the idea of getting a 5th wheeler, I would get a Winjana; if you google it, you may have to adjust the spelling. I like this one because of the low profile, is not too big and has a good price associated with it. There are a couple of horse float manufacturers making them and as such because of their expertise, would also be someone to contact.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am

peter chandler wrote: We have been talking to a few people who have friends traveling in American 5th wheelers and duel cab trucks they told us they absolutely love them. We would value fellow members opinions and advice. Regards Peter and Sharyn
I would be careful of purchasing the large American ones, particuarly second hand models. There was a report some time back from a member who had visited the dealers over there. His claim is that the USA manufacturers buile two classes of RV, one for travelling and ond for trailer park use. Guess which one they import for conversion, the much cheaper ones intended for park use.

The import market has had many dodgy importers, they arrange for the new owner to import a unit for personal use and thus the conversion for use here is not as stringent as those intended for sale from dealers. If you purchase one of those and try to register it in Qld you will vitrually have to redo the full conversion, those units were only for use by the personal importer/owner and have to pass the full inspection when onsold.

There are many other traps you will strike in their conversions. The western Australians, and some others, were geting away with the RHS door convrsions, They install door that is virtualy unusable on the LHS and you then can only really using the RHS door. Again you may not be able to transfer the registration if you purchase one of those (and best of luck getting your money back from the seller.)

If I had the mey for a new van I would be looking at a 5th wheeler but I certainly would not be going for an imported American model.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”