IVECO Campervans

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
Roadtriper

IVECO Campervans

Post by Roadtriper » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Hello,
I've been looking at Campervans and so far the Mercedes Sprinter and IVECO camper vans look the best, with regard to space and comfort.
Is there anyone out there with road usage experience of either of these?
I've seen the Merc Sprinter in a forum receive a roasting in regard to the latest models, in particular.
So if anyone has any first hand experiences, I would be most grateful for your input.
Thank you, Disha

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: IVECO Campervans

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:03 am

G'day disha, welcome to the forum from me
There are not to many on here who have whizz bangs so you may not get much personal experience

BTW, a whizz bang is what a camper van like you are looking at is commonly called on the road as well as any other side door camper, that's the noise the door does every time you open and close it, especially in the middle of the night when inconsiderate users slide it open (whizz) and then slam it shut (bang) not saying that's what you will do of course

A friend of my mother in law's has the Iveco and is happy with the vans performance and fuel economy that's all I can add to your research sorry

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:49 am

I would not make a choice based on the cosmetic appearance. Do some research into the costs of consumables eg filters and servicing costs and try and get an objective assessment of the mechanics. You can survive if a door falls of the wardrobe but if the drive train has indications of being a lemon then I know which I would buy.
Both have good reputations but Iveco seem to have an edge with trucks.
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi Disha,
Not too familiar with motorhomes but did hire one in NZ for six weeks two years ago, it had approx 100,000Km on the clock.

Drove well good economy (diesel) enough power for me, it was an auto and handled strong winds well.
Only issues I have with this vehicle was it had a rattle in the front end but was not too sure what the noise was from and was only noticeable at slow speed. The mate had the same type of vehicle and he had trouble with the back barn doors. I managed to almost fix that problem with no tools, just out of adjustment but was a bit ordinary the way the latch worked which was a bit of a surprise for a Mercedes.
merc.JPG
JR
:razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:33 pm

I wouldn't say that Iveco have an edge with their trucks, other than that they are cheaper.

The better truck is the Mercedes, it just costs a lot more.

More than happy with our fleet of Iveco trucks, would much rather a fleet of Mercs!

Look at the drivetrain waranty. Look at what emissions gear they have installed. Find out what repairs to that emissions gear will cost when it fails.

Common rail injector pumps and diesel particulate filters are 2 things you should price up for any late model turbo diesel you plan to own much past the waranty period. Not uncommon for the price of an injector pump and DPF to add up to more than the vehicle is worth once it's a few years old, and with a motorhome you can't just buy another vehicle and hook the old caravan to the back

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”