View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hi and seeking your advice 

Post Hi and seeking your advice
Well i have finally been converted, sold the sea yacht and looking to purchase the land yacht.
I am looking at off roaders- really for the outback and corrugated roads, not serious 4wd, however it needs to be self substaining for free camping etc
Doing the research and getting a little confused
1. chassis- cruisemaster seems to be most popular with shockers
2. frame of van- alunimum or meranti wood
3. external- aluminum or fibreglass
the list goes on- can you please advise what features i should be looking for, what brands i should be looking for, any problems you have had, etc

i will be using a toyota LC with 3500 kg tow capacity

thanks
Russell

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Post Re: Hi and seeking your advice
G'day Russell,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to a manufacturer that make what you may be seeking.

http://www.explorex.com.au/

These vans are OFF road and Dirt road models and are built with fully welded steel frames.

I have no interst in the company, I have seen the end results of their manufacturing and it is the best I have seen in the industry.

Cheers,

PeterM.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1980 Jayco Songbird 15' poptop
G'day and welcome to the forum.
I hate to advise anyone on what sort of van they should get so my input will stay at

what ever you get, get a second hand one

Very rarely do people settle on the first van they get, there are always "improvements" needed, most people get 2 or 3 vans before they have their "dream" van.

If you buy new you will usually loose big $$$ as you drive it out the door, if you buy a second hand van, you'll often get your money back a resale.
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:36 pm

We have a Roadstar & we couldn't be happier with it! We retired in 2011 & took off around Australia in it. It has a full ensuite & washing machine which is a must if you plan on doing a lot of travelling. Ours is an off roader. If you can get a 2nd hand one that is the way to go but people tend to hang on to them these days. My husband wanted it for the suspension. We don't do a lot of off roading but at least we know its capable. Melbourne is the place to buy a new van as they are much cheaper too. Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:47 am

Hi Russell

Frank has given you the very best advice.

Then get out into the sorts of places you want to travel and start the real research. Look at every rig that appeals and talk to the owners about the good, bad and ugly. Talking one-to-one you will get in depth reality, and most owners are happy to show off their vans and talk about them. We did this for years while holidaying be it under canvas or with the little old cheap wind up camper/caravan we got, before discovering the way for us to go.

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]