Spaceland Caravans

Post here for discussion on model specific Caravans & Motohomes
luka

Spaceland Caravans

Post by luka » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:47 am

Hello Fellows Caravanes and motorhomes owners

Just looking at a caravans for sale on the web and liked the look of the spaceland 25ft with cloub lounge in the front of the van.
Any body own one or owned and how did they performed and what is the internal material like is it hard wearing any other problems with this vans.
Love to hear your thoughts on this one.

mugndug

Re: Spaceland Caravans

Post by mugndug » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi, They are the van of choice for all the gypsies touring the country ripping off people. I would not believe the weights on the plate. I enquired about one a while ago, 26' with the works, washer, dryer, dishwasher!![gypsie van] and it was plated at 2280kg, I would have guessed it to go at 2700kg. I rang Spaceland and they told me that it would be around that, give or take 100kg and they work out the weight by a "formula". I have seen others for sale that size and they all are the same weight. Other than that they are about as good as the rest, they build a lot of other brand vans as well.
Cheers Doug

luka

Post by luka » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am

mugndug wrote:Hi, They are the van of choice for all the gypsies touring the country ripping off people. I would not believe the weights on the plate. I enquired about one a while ago, 26' with the works, washer, dryer, dishwasher!![gypsie van] and it was plated at 2280kg, I would have guessed it to go at 2700kg. I rang Spaceland and they told me that it would be around that, give or take 100kg and they work out the weight by a "formula". I have seen others for sale that size and they all are the same weight. Other than that they are about as good as the rest, they build a lot of other brand vans as well.
Cheers Doug
Hello Doug,

Thanks for the info its nothing better than getting info from some one that have some contact with the vans in mention that fany how many of them dont tell the trouth about the weight they carry and what is included in the complaiance plates. I just rang one of the person that is selling the van and i was told that is has 600kg carring capasity I wonder what is the trouth and the real figure.

Regards
Mark

ozjohn

Post by ozjohn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:32 am

Spaceland have built some very good vans over many years.
Like other manufactures they don't always get it 100%, but they certainly build them better than a lot of better known brands.
Currently Spaceland have two dealers, Noels in Adelaide (Island Star) and Scenic Caravans in Melbourne.
Cheers, Ozjohn.
Holden 2.8 Colorado- 17'6" Roma Elegance Pop Top.
Retired Engineer - Ex Caravan Consultant and Park Owner.
ACC - V00118

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:37 pm

We are on our second Spaceland. We changed from the first as the ball weight was too high on the first. The second was 200 kg heavier than the plated weight (18' body single axle.) I fixed the weight problem by replacing the 1,600 kg axle with a 2,000 kg one. It is too good a van to swap again just to get a better load capacity.

The van is 6 years old. We have lived in it for around 5 months of each year. It has travelled over 110,000 km. It is still in very good condition. We would consider another if we lost this one. I am confident we will get another 100,000 km out of it and that will probably see me out.

Before you accept the one you are looking at, put it over the weighbridge. Check both the tare weight and the unladen ball weight. Add at least 400 kg plus the weight of water (1 kg per litre) in the tanks to the tare weight. Compare this total to the maximum towing weight of your tug to keep yourself legal.

If it is a good van at a good price, don't let the fact it is heavier than the compliance plate weight put you off. As a final check, there should be a chassis makers plate on the cross member in front of the jockey wheel. Check that there is enough carrying capacity in the chassis to increase the vans ATM and GTM. If there is enough capacity, you can go to an certificated engineering person and get the capacity increased. That could not exceed a few hundred dollars. I went through this exercise as we carry nearly 500 kg load (including 80 litres of water.) With any other van, we would have had to do the same sort of upgrade or take half our contents out of the van as most single axle vans only allow for 300 kg load. When you start long distance travelling you will probably find you can not live within the 300 or 400 kg weight allowance.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

edbri

Post by edbri » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi

I have a 24 ft Spaceland with the following data on compliance plate:
Tare: 2004kg (weigh bridge says 2260kg)
GTM: 2418kg
ATM: 2606kg

Have not weighed it since loading it up!! Sure it will be close to the GTM.

On the chassis plate on the cross member in front of the jockey wheel, it says GTM 2750kg.

As per the above answer, what are the chances that a registered engineer be able to change the data??

Thanks heaps.

Cheers Eddie
Eddie and Brigitte
VW Touareg V6 and Holden Colorado LTZ Auto
Spaceland Deluxe 24ft

PeterD

Post by PeterD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Eddie, What things have been added since manufacture? Examples like solar/battery systems, awnings (Spaceland do not fit them) and external storage containers. Any of that would account for some of the empty weight difference. The rest would be from Spacelands guestimation.

Any engineer would take that 2750 kg into account when reassessing an upgrade. You may easily get another 300 kg load allowance.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Geratric

Post by Geratric » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm

luka
from geratric
we have a 2006 21ft6 tare weight 1990kg and yes ihave had it weighed with aball weight of 190 kg .we baught it in 2008 second hand ,we absoluty love it .in 2011 went and did 16thousand ks and no problems. in april this year 2012 we are on the road for 6 months to w a and nt back to gold coast home.i would have no hesotation to buy another if i wanted to update the only mods ar 60 ltr tank plus extra battery,from my experience we would recomend a spaceland any time.

ghcoolum

Post by ghcoolum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Original post deleted at member request on 12/09/16. To quote member "Spaceland finally came to the party and put things right"

nimdA
Last edited by nimdA on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Post deleted at member request

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi ghcoolum,
a sad welcome to you.
When you say "was told would be covered under transferable 12 month warranty." who told you that, and was it in writing? My experience, not written not true.

I ask as this is a rare thing in caravans to carry on a warranty, and appears as though you bought second hand. Also it is common to have the repairs done prior to rolling it out the yard.

I bought mine new and still have it. I found many obvious faults and did not pay till fixed.

According to car dealers the three most quoted words from customers are "The salesman Said" :roll:
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “Caravans and Motorhomes (RVs)”