Arnhem Land

For all RV travel & touring information on Northern Territory
Ancient Mariner

Arnhem Land

Post by Ancient Mariner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Just got back from a 12 day jaunt in the top end. Always wanted to go across Cahill's Crossing and fish for Barra. Crossing was great but sadly no fish.
What a great place Arnhem Land is to visit, even though it is in the fifth year of no real wet season it was beautiful. Thoroughly recommend a trip up there if you have never been.
One lady decided that the boat ramp was the crossing and found out that Winnebago's don't float.
:oops:

jock

Re: Arnhem Land

Post by jock » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi A.M.... did you have to get a special permit?
How far in did you go?

Jock :?:

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Yes Jock a permit is required and we went as far as Ubirr, (where crocodile dundee was filmed on top of the escarpment.360 deg views
The road has massive corrugations and a lot of damage is done to 4WDs not doing the correct speed.
The best option if you want to go into Arnhem Land is to do a day trip in a 15 seat 4WD Tour. They have all the permits required and know all the good spots.
I found out that AAPT Kings operates in the wet season ( the only ones that have permission) . They will take you to Cahills crossing where they have a boat that takes you to the other side(Arnhem Land) through the bush and have a 4WD waiting on the other side that they back into the water and you don't even get your shoes wet.
From what I have heard the WET season is truly magnificent.
You need to be in good nick to climb a lot of the places so you need to go prepared.
Graham

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Good on you Graham.
I went all around Darwin but not higher. Ahh well, they reckon to always leave some thing till next time. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jock

Post by jock » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Yeah Thanks A.M.....But I thought Ubirr was on the Eastern side of the East Alligator..In Kakdu, not Arnhem land.

Jock :confused:

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Yes Jock, the Ubirr we climbed had 360 degree views and was where you said ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Apologies to all, got carried away. East Alligator River and the Mikinj Valley in Arnhem Land was the furthest, Ubirr was the easy drive. Did the Yellow Water billabong cruise and the Guluyambi cruise. The young Aboriginal guide on Guluyambi threw spears from one side of the river bank into the water, I asked him if that was as far as he could throw and he said not likely if I throw too hard it goes into the trees on the other side and I can never find them again.

Return to “Touring NT”