Mt Ebenezer

For all RV travel & touring information on Northern Territory
Old Techo

Mt Ebenezer

Post by Old Techo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Dunno if this has been reported but we stopped at Mt Ebenezer (fuel/toilets/accommodation/art gallery/etc) and it's completely closed, kaput, out of business.

I have a veeeeerrrry faint internet signal so can't search for ebenezer.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

franknbeanz

Re: Mt Ebenezer

Post by franknbeanz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:39 pm

It was closed when we were there last year. Here is a link to look at.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 656453.htm
ImageFrank and Susan winnebago 6 berth ford manual
be yourself cos everyone else is taken
on on

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Sounds like a place to stay away from OT, I just read the same info as posted and the bloke that tried to reopen the place was run off at spear point.....

Curtain Springs is a great place and offers free camping or the whole box and dice.
some leave the van there and travel to the Rock and then to Kings canyon.
I did the drive to the canyon with the van and stayed at the resort there, but it is $ 40-00 per night no power.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

knight492

Post by knight492 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:20 pm

Same thing happened at Glenn Helen Gorge resort.

A land rights claim was submitted in the late 80's. The Government purchased it and gave it to the local elders and community. After a few months they put in another claim for the land adjoining.

One the Government said no, because it is a National park, the community closed the resort and let it rot!

Some serious problems in the NT :(
Regards Kevin & Anne

2010 GU Nissan Patrol 4.8L TI
2007 24' Supreme Territory

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:23 am

knight492 wrote:Same thing happened at Glenn Helen Gorge resort.

A land rights claim was submitted in the late 80's. The Government purchased it and gave it to the local elders and community. After a few months they put in another claim for the land adjoining.

One the Government said no, because it is a National park, the community closed the resort and let it rot!

Only caused by the white man and the smart/educated black man.
glanyard

gregnsue

Post by gregnsue » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Glen Helen Gorge Resort was doing plenty of business last June when we called in
gregnsue

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Sad about Mt Ebenezer, here's a bit of our blog from the first trip

then went on to Mt Ebenezer station which also has a free camp ground by the time I write this 5 other vans have pulled up one hire camper, a Winnebago, a HUGE 5th wheeler (caravan hooked up to a 4WD ute in the same way a semi is hooked up to the truck) and 22 ft van and a Nissan Urvan not a camper just the van and they fold the seats down, it’s interesting the way people travel, from one bloke I saw in his 60’s on a motorbike and his sleeping bag on the ground to people sleeping in swags beside the car, to caravans from 10 to 27ft and there are a few of those and lots of Winnebago’s and all staying in free parks as much as possible. As we got here Brenda took out meat for tea and I must have turned the freezer down too much and every thing was defrosted so we had to cook it all, the people here let us use their BBQ free of charge, so we’ll give them a donation for the Flying doctor, all these places have the donation tins and who knows one day we might need them (hope not). We’ve had tea and we’re now going to watch a movie.

It was a great well used freecamp

Frank

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:28 am

That's interesting knight492,
I have searched a bit on the internet and can find no details of these dealings, can you supply any other info please?
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 pm

It was going strong and looked good in 07 as was Standley chasm, which is also run by the local Aborigines, there I saw people push a fence over to try to get free access (it was $7 pp ), when they were challenged by the Aboriginal rangers, they abused the rangers and left saying they didn't see why the should give "abos" money.
Yet I suppose they would have no problem going to the snowys and pay big $$$ to get in there

Australia there is no racism, doodoo

Frank

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Frank & Brenda wrote:It was going strong and looked good in 07 as was Standley chasm, which is also run by the local Aborigines, there I saw people push a fence over to try to get free access (it was $7 pp ) Frank
G'day Frank,

We were there a week ago. $10 adults $8 seniors. It looked in reasonable nick and was quite busy - in fact hard to find a parking spot. We thought $10 was a tad steep for a brief walk. We paid the $8 concession but reckoned $5 would have been happily accepted by all with no excuse for confrontation.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Return to “Touring NT”