The Gorges at Alice Springs

For all RV travel & touring information on Northern Territory
onawhim

The Gorges at Alice Springs

Post by onawhim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 am

So another question :)
has anyone stayed or been out to Trephina Gorge if so can you tell me what the facilities are like and the area . We are self sufficiant and plan to stay there only over night and then head out the opposite direction to Ormiston gorge.

Is it better to stay at Ormiston gorge or stay at one of ther other gorges further back towards Alice Springs?

And finally the Mereenie loop - i know that you need a permit to go on this road but how corrugated is this road, it is a possibility to go this was as it does save a bit of extra time.
Thanks
H
Honda CRV, Camper Trailer Tent.
Making plans to go to Darwin September/October 2012 with the family and the old's are tagging along

Motherhen

Re: The Gorges at Alice Springs

Post by Motherhen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:36 am

Hi H

Trephina is beautiful, although not many places for large rigs. Pit toilet only. We stayed at a number of camps in the West, and based ourselves at lovely Trephina in the East. I have travelogues on my website, and have reviewed all of these campgrounds as well. Ormiston is a small campground which get crowded so you need to get there early to get in. The 'pound walk' is lovely. Solar heated showers - hot if you get in early in the day. It is also very sloping so not good for caravans. Redbank Ridgetop was my favourite in the West.

The Mereenie Loop is notorious - unless you have a dedicated off road rig i recommend taking the long way around. It took us all day - only because another traveller had broken a spring on their camper trailer, and the first two people to stop helped them through to Kings Canyon. If you are familiar with inland central Australia roads it is just more of the same. Other than the road, it is a nice drive.
This information was brought to you by Australia so Much to See. See this and more on an informative travel website

Motherhen

Red Desert Dreaming

Return to “Touring NT”