Oodnadatta Track

For all RV travel & touring information on South Australia
Old Techo

Oodnadatta Track

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:18 pm

G'day All,

Thinking of trying the Oodnadatta Track.... Marree - William Creek - Coober Pedy.

Our van is bitumen-only but we did the Birdsville Track from Marree about 3 years ago.

For that trip I made comprehensive stone protection (full details posted here) and since Birdsville I have raised the van 2 inches by fitting straight axles.

As I know zilch about the Oodnadatta Track I seek advice from experienced members about travelling this unmade road with our Roadstar van.

The trip would be in mid Feb, so potentially hot.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

JackDriver

Re: Oodnadatta Track

Post by JackDriver » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi OT,

If you did the Birdsville Track with your rig then the Oodnadatta Track should be OK too. We recently did 1/2 the Oodnadatta from Maree to William Creek and all of the Birdsville from Maree to Birdsville on our Lake Eyre trip last July with out Prattline, another semi off-road van and one on-road van.

The only thing I recall is that the Oodnadatta Track is stonier than the Birdsville but you seem to have that covered :lol: with your stone protection.

Not sure about doing it in February though; it gets might hot out there.

Cheers,
JackDriver
Jackaroo 3L T/D MY 2000
Prattline Lo-Tow MY 1993

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks Jack D :)

My stone protection story started here... http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 30#p161030
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

J.REEVES

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi OT,
I have done the Oodnadatta track four times now and the first time was before the Stuart Highway was sealed. The first time was possibly the smoothest before they started to add gravel to help make it more weather proof but when I say gravel at times it is big rocks so in places you just need to be more careful.

Ground clearance could be a problem but last trip I was travelling with people that had a stock standard Regent and they only had their underneath piping covered with carpet and they had no issues other than a small amount of dust. I have encountered bull dust on the track but not an issue and not the last two times.

Lake Eyre South viewing area has plenty of camping and there is or was a camping area at Coward Springs, it’s a caravan park. We usually camp at Algebuckina rail bridge, sometimes there is water and sometimes not. For some reason we seem to arrive at William Creek in the middle of the day so have never camped there just filled up with fuel. Always purchase a burger there but last time was not much good.

The last time I travelled the track was three years ago so really cannot give you much info but overall I would say it is not as good condition as the Birdsville track.

JR
:razz:

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 pm

We did both a couple of years ago, 2014 actually. They are on par with each other. Just drive with due care, and all should be good.

Smokeydk

Post by Smokeydk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:52 pm

OT.....May 2015 few of us on here did the track.....2 including myself had on road vans

have a look at my Blog

http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/2015_05_01_archive.html
Just get out there and enjoy

My Blog .. http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/

Frank & Brenda
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Smokeydk wrote:OT.....May 2015 few of us on here did the track.....2 including myself had on road vans

have a look at my Blog

http://smokeydk.blogspot.com.au/2015_05_01_archive.html
I was 'tother with the on road van, we were lucky as the graders were working in front of us, it was only the last 10km into William Creek that was very corrugated, as usual take it easy, drive to the conditions and let your tyres down a few lbs and all will be good

but in Feb? Boy it's not going to be hot,

it's going to be FERKING HOT

That area tomorrow is going for 41

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm

I have done it several times OT, but never with a van. Only on one occasion did we have a problem and it was during rain. If it is wet you can be there for a bit. I have been bogged only a few times and that was one of them.
The road was do bad we had to leave it and go the best way we could beside it. And this road had been declared open. But no one told the weather man. :)

Having seen it and done it that way I will tell you, if it's wet don't go down it. No problems at all in the dry, but keep the speed sane.
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jock

Post by jock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 am

G'day O.T.
Haven't been up that track since about 150 years ago ;-) ..At that time, the original Ghan was still in operation...We travelled up thru Oodnadatta, Finke then Rumbalara siding and put up 70 miles of fencing across the Finke River at Horshoe bend Station.
Anyway, cant help you much with current road conditions BUT..Definitely do not do this trip in February/March. It will get up to near 50deg. and the flies will line your eyes, nose, mouth and any other orifice that's a bit moist.
Be warned!!!!

Jock :)

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 am

We all will have different ways of coming into Oodna and we came in late on this trip due to the roads.We actually camped in the back behind the pub. The called it the camping area but it was a crap heap of building materials and junk.
We didn't use the showers which were vying for the dirtiest in history and Trudy was disgusted. But that's Oodnadatta.

I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “Touring SA”