Adelaide

For all RV travel & touring information on South Australia
pauljp

Adelaide

Post by pauljp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi All,

We are looking to find somewhere to stay in Adelaide for a few days in April and have thought about Mt Crawford Forestry reserve. This seems to be close to Adelaide as well as the Barrossa Valley. Has anyone stayed there? Is it a good place to stay? We are open to other alternatives as well. We are able to free camp for a few days.

Any help would be great. We have the bible as well.

We are thinking of staying on Kangaroo Island for a few days as well. Are there any tips on places anyone has stayed at?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

adrvan

Re: Adelaide

Post by adrvan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

my son plays local cricket and we often play at Nuriootpa the ovals abut the caravan park so lots of open greenery as well as the parks modern facility it is studded with large shade trees and is a really beautiful park puts you smack bang in the Barossa and with the new northern express way you are 30 to 40 mins to the city of Adelaide well worth a visit hope this is helpful you may even see a lot of hot air balloons taking of from one of the ovals at dawn truly worth a look
cheers
andrew

jock

Post by jock » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 am

G'day Paul.
Re Kangaroo Island... Terrific little Station type C.P. at Jervis Bay, top of the Hill just before the Ferry (cant think of the name) or beaut C.P. at Rapid Bay a little further back. Over on the Island, a good spot to prop is on the far Western end. There is lots to see using this area as a Base....N.P. camping at Rocky River, in the Flinders Chase N.P. but we found it's full of backpackers and is run by over the top Greenies who dislike Caravans and will site you on a bitumen road giving all the good spots to tent people. My preference next time will be the privately owned Western KI caravan Park & Wildlife reserve just outside the N.P.
Another great spot is at American River. Dont know of any free camping areas on the Island..Quite a few self registration spots but not free.
Kangaroo Island is well worth at least a weeks stay...2 weeks would be better particularly if you like fishing.

Jock :)

pauljp

Post by pauljp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info about the caravan park at Nuriootpa. Sounds like a good place and did not know about the freeway and how little the travel time is into Adelaide.

Hi Jock,

Thanks for the reference to the places to stay before going over. We were thinking about staying at Jervis Bay before we head over to Kangaroo Is. so we will now more than likely do that.
On Kangaroo Is we thought about Parndana as it was central on the island.

It would appear that the price is about the same if your camping or in a caravan park when on the island, so appreciate the tip for the Caravan park.

Yep, would like to stay longer however i can only get 4 weeks off work, so literally do not have enough time. However as it is always said, there is something left for next time!!!!
Thanks guys for your help, any other suggestions for around this area would be great. I have not been to SA before.
Thanks Paul.

PS - Jock, i am sooooo not a fisherman!!! HA HA

Return to “Touring SA”