Atherton Mossman Cairns

For all RV travel & touring information on Queensland
MargStew

Atherton Mossman Cairns

Post by MargStew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:23 pm

We are heading to cairns for our first time late March early April. We would like to stay at Atherton Mossman and Cairns but would like to ask if the road between Atherton and Mossman is ok with a large van as we have been told it is very narrow and windy. Someone suggested staying just in Cairns and doing trips out but being our first time there we want to experience the tropical area. Can anyone suggest brilliant parks at all three locations and advise on road conditions.

Old Techo

Re: Atherton Mossman Cairns

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:33 pm

We did that run a couple of years ago and I don't remember any issues. It is a bit steep and winding at Mt Molloy but didn't bother me.

QLD members will know more.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 pm

MargStew,
I have done that run a number of times and don't remember it being narrow; but then, I'm in Tasmania at present and all the "B" and "C" roads are narrow and windy.
I'm sure you'll be OK.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

jock

Post by jock » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:55 am

Hi MargSrew. The road, you mention is very steep and twisty but it is a good, road built for the large No. of Tourists that use it. If you tug is reasonably modern and is able to handle a long, uphill pull with a big van, you will have no problem....It does seem to go on forever though.
Not aware of any "brilliant" CPs up on the Range...The one at Atherton is not too bad....But, certainly, in Cairns, The Coconut Resort, Big4 at Woree (about 5 kms Sth. of the CBD) is the best, by far.
Not much in Mossman but just North is the beautiful Pinnacles C.P. at Wonga Beach...right on the beach and a great base to explore Mossman Gorge, Daintree Village and day trips up to Cape Tribulation.

Hope this Helps....
Jock :)
P.S. If you are a bit nervous about the Mossman trip up to the range, an easier trip up, allthough longer, is from further South at Innisfail on the Palmerston Hgy.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 am

Jock, it would be handy to know where the steep bit is. I mentioned Mt Molloy. Are you talking about another area?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Marg Stew,
I assume you are coming up from the south so take the Palmerston Hwy up to the Atherton Tablelands and follow it all the way north to Mareeba before going down the range to Mossman. None of that road is a challenge as far as I'm concerned and I've done it numerous times.
The tablelands are truly beautiful for most of it; mainly dairies, cane and coffee farming. The CP at Malanda is ordinary but there is a reasonable one at Atherton.
The place to go in Mareeba, where the coffee is grown, is the rodeo grounds; good and cheap.
There is also a good CP in Mossman but I can't remember the name of it.
If you're rich, by all means book into the Coconut resort that Jock spruiks about; $40 per night and then explore from there.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

jock

Post by jock » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Glanyard! MS didn't mention price.!! The criteria was .."Brilliant" and you'd have to admit that the Coconut CP certainly falls into that category. regardless of price...You definitely get what you pay for.
But If price is, indeed, a criteria then there are quite a few other C.P's in Cairns that are pretty good...Cool Waters C.P, Crystal Cascades, Lake Placid etc etc.. ..check the pricing..they are only marginally cheaper than the Coconut but, in my book, dont compare.
OT ! - leaving Mosman and heading up that road, the steep, long grind starts very soon after only a couple of kms.. it starts to get twisty not long afterwards and then, on reaching about 3/4 of the way up, straightens out somewhat and becomes less steep until you come close to Mt. Molloy.
I have overheated 2 vehicles going up that road towing in the long past..A Landrover with a Holden Donk and an Isuzu LWB MU wagon. There should be no problem if the OP has a reasonably modern vehicle in good condition.

Jock

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:29 pm

jock wrote:OT ! - leaving Mosman and heading up that road, the steep, long grind starts very soon after only a couple of kms.. it starts to get twisty not long afterwards and then, on reaching about 3/4 of the way up, straightens out somewhat and becomes less steep until you come close to Mt. Molloy.
Thanks Jock,

I had to look at Google Maps. Yes, that's the bit of road I was thinking about. We travelled it in both directions pulling our 2.4 tonne tandem behind the Prado. No trouble at all. I quite enjoy those sorts of interesting roads :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

MargStew

Post by MargStew » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks so much for all your helpful hints and suggestions. We have done Brown mountain in the snowy mountains, the waterfall way, and that steep one that brings you down into Batemans bay from Canberra. My husband likes to check though with others who have travelled these roads. We are towing with an extremely brilliant Pajero which my husband keeps in tip top condition!

inca222

Post by inca222 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Know most of the roads up there.Pick one and do it. It's beautiful country.

Return to “Touring QLD”