Adels Grove & Gregory Downs

For all RV travel & touring information on Queensland
Old Techo

Adels Grove & Gregory Downs

Post by Old Techo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:02 pm

I've just spoken to friends who have been at Adels Grove for 4 nights. They wanted to leave yesterday but couldn't due road conditions. It was too muddy and slippery. They said that despite the public road being closed some vanners were still arriving today, covered in mud.

More interesting was the situation at Gregory Downs. In August last year on our way to Adels we drove in just to have a look as this place is noted for the no camping signs that are ignored. In fact the road access has a very clear sign that says 'No caravans past this point'. Despite the signage there were 50+ vanners and campers well set up. Today our friends at Adels who on Sunday night stayed near the Gregory Downs pub said that the authorities turned up at Gregory Downs and issued fines of $750 to those with their caravans who ignored the signs.

Gregory Downs August 2015 in the area forbidden to caravans....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Bluecruiser

Re: Adels Grove & Gregory Downs

Post by Bluecruiser » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 am

Gidday OT, We left Gregory Downs on Wednesday 13th and there were as many vans down by the river as in your photo's. It is a very beautiful spot, but the signs and 'Camps 8' book, both warn that the local council prohibit caravans and camping by the river. There is plenty of room for vans near the road turnoff to Lawn Hill and it is well signed to allow camping. I guess when one sheep ventures into forbidden territory, the flock will follow. If the said fines are paid, the local council will certainly swell their coffers.

Colin.

Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:33 am

Some people will never learn OT, $750 that's a lot of nights in a caravan park.
Graham

TramcarTrev

Post by TramcarTrev » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:50 am

Yep that is a lot of nights in a van park... But I'll bet the reason they dont want vans where they dont want them is twofold
1) who has to rescue them in the event of a flood?
2) who cleans up after them?
In the latest edition of the Mag it confirms what we already know, cleaning up free camps is the major "excuse" used for closure...
A mate sent me pics of Innot Hot Springs. Its a nice spot but his picures show empty Maccas boxes on the sand. Who or why would you drive all that way with Maccas boxes to leave them on the sand at the side of the creek?

You can also bet the sign ignorers are the ones who scream the loudest at the closure of free camps...

There is a similar spot on the Shoalhaven River at Oallen, its really picuresque and great in summer but the Council had to move in and restrict use there because of the fossickers and miners. Seems there is gold in the river, imagine the damage that can be done by a few "miners" with petrol fire pumps sluicing the riverbanks down to extract the gold...
Blogs;

http://trevs-tramway.blogspot.com.au/
I do have a travel blog for Australia and Asia. Acess it through my profile.

Return to “Touring QLD”