Cooktown and beyond

For all RV travel & touring information on Queensland
jock

Re: Cooktown and beyond

Post by jock » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 am

Old Techo wrote:
jock wrote:Again assuming that you haven't done this before, may I suggest the following route to Isa and Lawn Hill....
Jock, we have been thinking about your advice. You have proposed Lawn Hill via the Isa. Some think via Cloncurry, Burke and Wills Roadhouse direction. Are you able to make a comparison between these two very distinct routes?
Yeah. O.T...The route the others suggest is, by far the better. I suggested the other cos, I was not sure if you'd seen Boulia etc...But seeing as you have...previous advice to Windorah, then onto Jundah, Stonehenge, Longreach, Winton, Cloncurry, Burke & Wills etc. etc.

Jock :)

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Sun May 31, 2015 3:55 pm

jock wrote:Then onto Kidmans Camp C.P...great spot near the Darling about 8 kms Nth. of Bourke.
Then onto Yowah (opal fields) has an excellent C.P. as well as extensive free camping area with hot shower...
Then onto Quilpie.. fantastic C.P...great people, possible camp oven cooking meals nearly every night with accompanying great Happy Hour around the big campfire at the camp kitchen.

Hope the above is of interest..sing out if you need any more info.
G'day Jock, I am singing out :)

We have been mapping your suggestions and I have a query. According to Google Maps the shortcut does not exist so it runs a torturous path as shown in the first pic. In the second pic I have forced it to follow the shortcut except for the last 100 metres that it thinks doesn't exist.

I know the shortcut is a proper road but just want to check that it's the one you meant and what's it like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jock

Post by jock » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:40 am

G'day O.T... Very strange indeed.! even your 2nd illustration is not quite right. When you turn off the Bulloo Dev. Rd to head North to Quilpie ( not far West of Eulo ) after about 50 kms, you hang a lefty to Yowah which is about 20 kms. South......To get to Quilpie from Yowah, you have to backtrack that last 20 kms to rejoin the road which takes you to Toompine then onto Quilpie.
It's been about 3 years since we did this bit and there was a few sections of unsealed stuff which, at the time was O.K.. I'm led to believe that it is now sealed all the way....perhaps another member can verify.
In any event, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem either way.

Jock :)

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am

G'day Jock,

Forget that Google Maps complete rubbish. It has no idea about the outback.

Here is a proper map and no probs at all :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:21 pm

OT,
We returned home a week ago from the Central Qld area and in reference to Quilpie to Longreach general area; it is dry, bloody dry!!
The road Quilpie to Longreach is quite good but with a lot of road kill. Traffic isn't a problem as the locals don't have a reason to travel. You may come across the occasional road train moving cattle so be prepared to move off the bitumen; it didn't happen to us very often.
Rather than stay in Longreach, unless you have good reason to, may I suggest the Ilfracombe CP beside the Wellshot Hotel; it has a Happy Hour worth attending. The town has a museum of farming, road making and transport that stretches from one end of town to the other.
I'll attach a photo of the road about 100 km north of Quilpie.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Nice timing Glannie :)

We just pencilled in Longreach, for no reason other than roughly the right distance. Have now changed it to Ilfracombe.

I always step aside, or even stop, for road trains. I'd rather give them 100% of the black stuff so they don't chuck up yonnies and dust.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto

gregnsue

Post by gregnsue » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi OT
You won't be sorry you stayed at Ilfracombe. Great little park
gregnsue

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:55 pm

In the 6300 km we were away this time I got one hit to the windscreen and it came from an overtaking impatient local towing a horse trailer. We joined him at the red light 30 seconds later.
It isn't always the trucks who are yonnie throwers; the locals own the roads and you are a bloody nuisance to them.
glanyard

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

In the 6300 km we were away this time I got one hit to the windscreen and it came from an overtaking impatient local towing a horse trailer. We joined him at the red light 30 seconds later.
It isn't always the trucks who are yonnie throwers; the locals own the roads and you are a bloody nuisance to them.
glanyard

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Oops! Went and got another red and had forgotten I'd already posted the last reply.
glanyard

Return to “Touring QLD”