Cooktown and beyond

For all RV travel & touring information on Queensland
jock

Re: Cooktown and beyond

Post by jock » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Sorry Guys....might have to disagree with you re Longreach v Ilfracombe...Yes the Ilfracombe camp is good and it has some interesting stuff to see but Longreach really is the better of the two when it's all added up. - Much more to see and do. Ideally stay at both but if it comes to a choice Longreach is the better base. ( remember my previous advice as to which C.P. to stay)..It also has a good free camp ( Apex Riverside camp) if you prefer. You need at least 4 full days at Longreach to see everything.
Just My Opinion

Jock :)

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Jock,
You are right to a degree, but Ilfracombe would be a better base as it is a stones throw away. The CP will give you a card to get a 2 cent per litre discount on fuel.
I spoke with a local up there who reckons Longreach should be much better considering it is supposed to be a support town for that area.

OT,
As suggested; stay at both.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

NEVILLE & TRISH

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Another vote for Ilfracombe over Longreach.. :D :D

Regards Neville....
2012 Ford Territory Titanium diesel AWD
2012 18' Jayco Sterling pop top with shower / loo.

Mally

Post by Mally » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 am

Neville is illfracombie near the beach and do they gave McDonalds there???? Hang on, saw the news on the weekend that the residents are getting food parcels and they have ran out of water. Damn drought. :evil:
Jayco Discovery Poptop 2012
Towed by VF Holden Calais

NEVILLE & TRISH

Post by NEVILLE & TRISH » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:44 am

Mally wrote:Neville is illfracombie near the beach and do they gave McDonalds there???? Hang on, saw the news on the weekend that the residents are getting food parcels and they have ran out of water. Damn drought. :evil:

I'll educate you when I see you... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regards Neville....
2012 Ford Territory Titanium diesel AWD
2012 18' Jayco Sterling pop top with shower / loo.

Old Techo

Post by Old Techo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:14 am

I've searched for Burketown and found a few posts but none about the Burketown van park.

We were thinking of towing from Adel's via Gregory to Burketown (sealed from Gregory) then unmade to Normanton.

Does anyone recommend the Burketown van park or would we be better off direct from Adel's and making a base at Normanton then day-tripping to Burketown as we will to Kurumba?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Lofty56

Post by Lofty56 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Kurumba,s the better place to stay, we had a few days there a mth back, , if u stay at normanton, there is a free camp across the bridge on the nth side of Normaton,

The rd from B&W,s is tarred in the loose sense, single lane in some spots, and there r Cattle Road trains regularly on it, not a prob, as long as ur willing to leave them on the tar, they got a lot of wheels, to want in the dirt as oncoming traffic. far better to keep them on the tar. :rolleyes: After all it is called a Development Rd.

well thats my 20cents worth
regards Kev

Kev & Pam
Home Base, Mansfield Vic
Caravan, 21.6 Trakmaster
Tug, 200 Sahara

Return to “Touring QLD”