traveling to Cape York on the Development road

For all RV travel & touring information on Queensland
Lofty56

traveling to Cape York on the Development road

Post by Lofty56 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi just a Q, pls, the wife and l want to travel to Cape York this season, , just wondering whether the Development road was considered and easy way up, bein we travel buy ourselves alot, wasnt worried about the OTT, l c from some google sites we can do side trips to most of the water falls and features without havin to run the ott as a single vehicle, Yes we do hav a good 4wd, and yes hav experiance, but age is catchin up, and we just feel like taken the easy way for once , :rolleyes: , so if someone could point me in the right direction, ie, where to google, or wat dvd,s to look for, it would b great too

or even better, if theres a group, that needs another old fart in the mix, pls feel free to contact us,

Regards Kev & Pam

Kev & Pam
Home Base, Mansfield Vic
Caravan, 21.6 Trakmaster
Tug, 200 Sahara

glanyard

Re: traveling to Cape York on the Development road

Post by glanyard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Kevin,
If you can afford it, there are a number of tour operators who do tag-a-long tours. We did one in 2000 even though I had driven it twice before by Army Land Rover. The mob we went with, "Guides to Adventure" (look on the net) was terrific as they did everything except for supplying camping gear,beer and fuel; great meals too!
But there are others like www.billytea.com.au.
Another option is to take a 4x4 small bus trip; just do some "Googling".
One other option is to go up to the tip by supply ship out of Cairns, with you vehicle on board and then drive back or vice versa.
glanyard

PS Leave your caravan behind at Lakeland caravan park if you intend doing this alone; they will store it for you. Otherwise if you go with an operator ask them for storage suggestions.
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

jock

Post by jock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:21 pm

G'day Kev.
I take it you're talking about no caravan..is that right? Been a couple of years since we were up there but the diversionary sections called the 'development road' were horribly corrugated and folk up there told me that it varies depending on the time of the season you go.
Certainly you have no reason to fear security wise as it gets very, very busy these days and you would never be in an isolated stranded type situation for very long.
Just make sure that your 4wd is well serviced and checked over..even to the extent of pinching up all your suspension components and take plenty of money for the Jardine Crossing rip-off. :roll:
You mention that you are experienced...Well 'age shall not weary them' mate..Have a great trip.

Jock :)

glanyard

Post by glanyard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Jock,
The so called rip off is a payment you are required to pay to enter aboriginal lands.
You also can charge for people to enter your property.
You and a lot of other white people should stop bitching about that charge; it is there and is legal.
If you don't think it is legal, complain about it to the relevant authorities. I don't mind paying because it is their lands not ours.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

Lofty56

Post by Lofty56 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:05 pm

we,ll use our roof tent for the trip itself, and the cruiser is well set , its been on a few interestin places already, ie Steep Point wa, birdsville trac, strez trac, onadatta, trac, painted desert, , great central to mention a few, so lam cool with the cruiser, 270ltr tanks, lifted already, 12k warn , and alot more, just thinkin we would do the trip as a single vehicle, and just do an easy way up if there was one, to us its more about the bucket list than the how steep , how deep, type trip this time lol, would like to get the pic at the cape in the folder , if u no wat we mean, and of course see a magnificent, part of our great country

We hav thought about the tagg along, and its not out of the Q, yet, those tour guides can certainly make a good trip really great with there local knowledge, the bus, no lam not that old yet lol.

so was just chasin advise on runnin the dev rd with a roof tent and me and the wife, oh yeh , the cruiser too lol. l c the trips to the water falls r easy enough to divert on the way

So pls keep sendin info , were keen to listen, like plannin any good trip, the plannin is half the fun , :mrgreen:

regards Kev & Pam

Kev & Pam
Home Base, Mansfield Vic
Caravan, 21.6 Trakmaster
Tug, 200 Sahara

jock

Post by jock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:27 am

glanyard wrote:Jock,
The so called rip off is a payment you are required to pay to enter aboriginal lands.
You and a lot of other white people should stop bitching about that charge; it is there and is legal.
If you don't think it is legal, complain about it to the relevant authorities. I don't mind paying because it is their lands not ours.
glanyard
Glanyard....Why do you have to be so abrasive against fellow Forumites when expressing your opinion ?? I definitely dont agree with you but rather than wreck Lofty's thread have started a new one in the Soap Box section. See "Jardine River Crossing Rip-Off"

Jock :evil:

Tony48

Post by Tony48 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:09 am

glanyard wrote:Jock,
glanyard
Interesting and valid point.
Poor choice of wording and phrasing.
:cry:
Comments made by me (Tony) are not necessarily those of the Management (Lorraine).
Tony & Lorraine
2009 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 turbo diesel. Chip & exhaust.
2010 Concept Ascot S9. [Modifications by Lavenders B & B and Caravan Service Center]

dieseltojo

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Yep First inhabitants get dibs on charging to enter the place.

You can't reverse it either for the "what about when they come to Melbourne brigade",,, It's still their land even though some unknown sold it to Batman for two axes and a mirror. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Lofty56

Post by Lofty56 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 pm

hey enough with the aboriginal rights stuff, l didnt sign up for that on this post, take where its sposed to b, u lot, l was askin for info, not a political debate if u can help me in regards to the trip the wife and l r plannin, great, if not take it elsewhere,

thanku , end of rant

and hav a nice day

Kev & Pam
Home Base, Mansfield Vic
Caravan, 21.6 Trakmaster
Tug, 200 Sahara

roadstar dave

Post by roadstar dave » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi lofty56 just get out there and do It i have done it three times in my short life and would do it again . The OTT is fine just take your time and there is always a chicken run to get around the hard stuff .I have friends up there now and they are loving it .Lofty56 just do it you'll love it cheers dave

Return to “Touring QLD”