Flexi or Spirit?

For all RV travel & touring information on Tasmania
CRD-01

Re: Flexi or Spirit?

Post by CRD-01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Crazyhorse wrote:I am probably the only stupid one here and everyone else knows; but Kel…what are you talking about?
So sorry, I wasn’t thinking. I was assuming Tassie travellers would only respond to the post. The Flexi and Spirit are two types of cancellation and change of travel options. There is considerable price difference between the two. It can also vary between $200 and $400 dollars depending on dates.
Thanks for the replies anyway.
Kel and Kaz
300C Chrysler
3 litre V6 Mercedes Diesel
Roma Elegance Van

hank

Post by hank » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Boy, things have sure increased in price, we went there 3 years ago and I changed the return date for 1 week later and they only charged me $25.00. Just a phone call to them whilst we were in Tassie and they fixed it all.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2011 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

Queensmanian

Post by Queensmanian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:22 pm

:lol: :lol:
CRD-01 wrote:I was just wondering what are your recommendations rergarding the options when choosing. Flexi sure costs more, but is it worth the extra.
I am taking the van.
Kel
This question has no connection with taking, or not taking , a van.
“Spirit” or “Flexi” are simply two different fare structures for your personal accommodation on board.
Spirit is a fair bit less expensive, and has some charges involved if you subsequently want to change or cancel your booking, however, remember that it can be changed online without a fee. To further clarify this, if you have a “spirit” booking and want to change the date, do it yourself online and it will cost you nothing; phone the staff, or go to their counter, and it will cost you $50 for the privelege of having them do it for you.

There are a couple of other “traps” that can cost you money:-

1. Within each of the “Spirit” and “Flexi” fare structures, they have different “Tier” levels that they refuse to divulge in full detail. (phone them and ask for details if you doubt me)
As bookings come in for a particular date, the fares go up.
For Example, we book a cabin with a porthole. If we make our booking early, we can get that for $169 per head. If there are a few bookings before us, we will have to pay the next level of $186 per head. If you are booking when they already have a lot of bookings , you pay $246 per head.
To check this yourself, go through the online booking system, note the cabin fee on chosen date, then use the feature that allows you to advance one day at a time, and note the variation in cabin fees. Try to get them to disclose this in full detail for you :lol:

2. Before you start a booking, measure exactly the length of your tow vehicle, the length of your van, and the combined length of the two when hitched. Remember that the tow coupling over hangs the tow ball, so the total length of your rig will be a little less than the sum of the two individual lengths.
Make certain that ,toward the end of the online booking process, the total length they show is actually the same as your measured combined length when hitched. One millimetre over a complete metre will cost you another $71. Our vehicle comes in a range of models and lengths, 2door and 4 door, and the SoT computer system does not ask for car length or model in our case. It just uses the length for the longest model, which takes us from 10.98 metres to about 11.5, and this would cost us $71 each way if we were not awake to it. We get around this by working out how much they have over estimated our length, and then deducting this from our declared caravan length to get their computer to show 10.98 metres. I have phoned them to check the legality of this, and they agree it is correct. Beyond reluctantly agreeing to this fact , I have found them loath to give information relating to shortcomings in their system that rip us off.

Queensmanian

Post by Queensmanian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:49 pm

:mrgreen: :evil: I tried to edit the above post to add more information, and after much one finger typing, I was told “no more edits”.

:confused: :confused:
In brief I was saying:-

You have a much better chance of getting a booking if you are under 2.1 metres, because hordes of trucks fill up the over 2.1 area of the boat.

You can remove rear spare wheel, and even rear bumper, to get below next full metre; worth $142 to you on a two way trip

If a whisker over 2.1 metres high, a little tyre deflation might help. At Devonport you can reinflate within 1 km.

CRD-01

Post by CRD-01 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks Queensmanian, I have booked my trip. I am having real dramas with getting the overall length at the length that I reckon I can get away with.I am down to millimeteres of difference with the spare wheels removed. I really appreciate the effort that you have gone to with your reply. I wouldn’t be surprised if I get slugged extra for extra length.
I now understand Flexi and Spirit thanks to your explanation.
Kel
Kel and Kaz
300C Chrysler
3 litre V6 Mercedes Diesel
Roma Elegance Van

Queensmanian

Post by Queensmanian » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:15 pm

To measure overall length, I hitch the van, take my spirit level, and head off to a quiet flat area, in my case, a parking area at a school.
I use the spirit level vertically at the frontmost part of the car, and rear most part of the van, and in each case draw a mark on the pavement. It is then a simple matter to measure the distance between the marks.
If your spirit level is too short too reach the longest part of your van, use a piece of straight timber, or a straight broom handle as a vertical, and put the spirit level on that.

The boarding at the SOT is a bit haphazard, and I have noticed measure marks painted on the road surface where you stop at an office to present your documents. Nobody gets out to check; I think it is a cursory glance, and they might only pick you up if you were ridiculously over length. I dont take that chance, and dont suggest anyone does.

Return to “Touring TAS”